What bacteria grow on blood agar
Blood agar In microbiology, it serves as a breeding ground for microorganisms that require components of the blood of mammals for growth.
The culture medium consists of 5 to 10% defibrinated blood (usually sheep or horse blood; in special cases also rabbit or pig blood; rarely human blood) and enables the detection of certain classes of pathogens and the assessment of the haemolytic properties of the cultured bacteria (e.g. Streptococci).
- α hemolysis (Greening): The bacteria do not produce any haemolysins, they cause a greenish zone on blood agar, which is not due to real haemolysis but to discoloration and a loss of potassium in the red blood cells. The reduction in hemoglobin to biliverdin causes the green color. There are still intact erythrocytes.
- β hemolysis: The bacteria produce streptolysin O or S and are surrounded by a clear zone of hemolysis. The hemoglobin is completely broken down, this is a real hemolysis. All erythrocytes in this area are completely hemolyzed.
- γ hemolysis: These bacteria do not show any hemolysis behavior.
The Cooked blood agar (also: Chocolate agar) is a variant of blood agar in which the agar is briefly heated to 80 ° C erythrocyte lysis is achieved. The lysis releases hemin ("factor X") and NAD ("factor V") into the agar, where they can be metabolized by bacteria that are not themselves hemolyzing (e.g. Haemophilus influenzae). Boiled blood plates are sometimes activated with increased CO2-Tension incubates, especially capnophile germs, i.e. CO2-Preferring bacteria, as well as all Neisseria, multiply much better this way.
- ↑ 1,01,1Michael T. Madigan, John M. Martinko, Jack Parker: Brock microbiology. German translation edited by Werner Goebel, 1st edition. Spektrum Akademischer Verlag GmbH, Heidelberg 2000, ISBN 978-3-8274-0566-1, p. 562
- ↑ Technical information Blood agar (base) of Merck KGaA, accessed on February 11, 2013
- Stole tips from Uber's drivers
- In which Arabic is the Koran written?
- Why are stock options recognized as an expense
- What is an introduction to me
- Are there arranged marriages in Europe?
- How does an NPN transistor work
- What are you asking yourself to be
- Military aircraft have tail numbers
- Can African black-footed cats be domesticated?
- What is negative magnification
- Are nuclear weapons necessary
- What do the numbers mean
- Why is my Dell computer battery not charging?
- Can guinea pigs and capybaras live together?
- Is about a preposition
- How are Christians treated in Sweden
- What does off-market
- What's in your CRTL V.
- How many fans love to watch Star Wars
- Is baby food vegan
- Atatuerk was a dictator
- Would you ever cheat
- What is the flag of Pakistan
- Chevrolet cars are named after a person
- What is the story of Cebu City
- Why do athletes sometimes do badly?
- When is withholding the truth dangerous?
- Are social media settings important
- How do you think God is entertaining himself
- What is the best free website builder
- How is Laissez Faire related to capitalism?
- What makes a meal great
- Is 57 Prime or Composite
- Why were there different indigenous tribes