How does fluconazole work
FluconazoleDrug groupsAntifungal drugsAzole Antifungal Drugs Fluconazole is an active ingredient in the triazole antifungal group that is used to prevent and treat fungal infections. The effects are based on the inhibition of the enzyme lanosterol-14α-demethylase, whereby the ergosterol synthesis in the mushrooms is blocked. Fluconazole has a long half-life of about 30 hours and is taken once a day with or without food. Some diseases can be treated with a single dose. Fluconazole is an inhibitor of CYP450 isoenzymes and can cause drug interactions. The most common possible adverse effects include abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, elevated liver values, rashes and headaches.
Fluconazole is available in the form of capsules, as a powder for the preparation of a suspension and as an infusion solution (Diflucan®, generics). It has been approved in Switzerland since 1989.Structure and properties
Fluconazole (C.13H12F.2N6O, Mr = 306.3 g / mol) is a fluorinated triazole derivative. It exists as a white, crystalline and hygroscopic powder that is sparingly soluble in water.
Fluconazole (ATC J02AC01) has antifungal (fungistatic) properties. The effects are based on the inhibition of the enzyme lanosterol-14α-demethylase in the fungal cells. This interrupts the conversion of lanosterol to ergosterol. This leads to an accumulation of 14α-methylsterols and a disruption in the structure of the fungal cell membrane.
Fluconazole is used to prevent and treat fungal infections. This includes:dosage
According to the medicinal product information. The capsules are taken once a day with or without meals. The dosage interval depends on the indication. Some infections can be treated with a single dose (e.g. vaginal thrush).
Depending on the area of application, daily or weekly intake may also be necessary. Fluconazole has a long half-life of about 30 hours (range: 20-50 hours). The usual dose range is 50 to 400 mg (adults). A suspension is available for children.Contraindications
- Fluconazole must not be combined with medicinal products which are metabolised by CYP3A4 and which at the same time prolong the QT interval.
The complete precautionary measures can be found in the medicinal product information sheet.Interactions
Fluconazole has a high potential for interaction. It is a substrate for CYP3A4 and an inhibitor of CYP2C9, CYP2C19 and CYP3A4 and can cause drug interactions.unwanted effects
The most common possible adverse effects include abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, elevated liver values, rashes, and headaches. Very rarely, serious side effects such as a prolongation of the QT interval, liver damage and severe skin damage can occur.Checklist for advising patients
Download: Checklist_Fluconazole.pdfsee also
Azole antifungal drugsliterature
- Pharmaceutical product information (CH, USA)
- European Pharmacopoeia PhEur
- Kowalsky S.F., Dixon D.M. Fluconazole: a new antifungal agent. Clin Pharm, 1991, 10 (3), 179-94 Pubmed
- Lazar J.D., Wilner K.D. Drug interactions with fluconazole. Rev Infect Dis., 1990, 12 (3), 327-33 Pubmed
- Richardson K., Cooper K., Marriott M.S., Tarbit M.H., Troke P.F., Whittle P.J. Discovery of fluconazole, a novel antifungal agent. Rev Infect Dis, 1990, 12 Suppl 3, S267-71 Pubmed
- Washton H. Review of fluconazole: a new triazole antifungal agent. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis, 1989, 12 (4), 229-233 Pubmed
- Zervos M., Meunier F. Fluconazole (Diflucan): a review. Int J Antimicrob Agents, 1993, 3 (3), 147-70 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.additional Information
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on 7/12/2020.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- If I'm confused, it's love
- Who believes in twin flames
- What are the requirements for fulfillment
- What's the best film about wine
- Can bad habits keep you from studying?
- How is NIET for engineering
- How do I practice basic arithmetic
- What is schema in psychology
- How dangerous is Jordan B. Peterson
- SoundCloud will run a stock exchange
- Can a child have a tear in the retina
- When did New Order make it big?
- Is the Macbook Pro 2016 overpriced
- What is work loaded facility
- What is Facebook's Average Monthly Revenue
- Augmented Reality apps help people
- What should i do to join power supplies
- What are some hidden truths of coins
- Why is intelligence being ignored
- How do I help my grieving child
- Effective Altruism Promotes Impact Investing
- Which colleges have the best marching bands
- What is the oldest brewery in Australia
- What can a whole blood count detect