Where was Bombay Pav Bhaji first made
Mumbai Pav Bhaji (Spiced Vegetables)
Pav Bhaji is a popular Indian street food. Pav Bhaji is made with potatoes and tomato-based vegetables and enjoyed with pav or dinner rolls. We're going to do it in both Instant Pot and Stove Pressure Cooker. Try this one-pot pav bhaji recipe in the pressure cooker and you won't do it any differently again!
Pav Bhaji was a favorite when we visited Juhu Beach, a popular suburb in Mumbai. There were many food stalls on Juhu Beach, and two of them were must-haves - Pav Bhaji and Gola. Traditionally, Pav Bhaji is made on a tawa. See a video of Pav Bhaji being prepared by a seller on Juhu Beach. In case you're wondering if gola is flavored with ice on a stick.
In India, at home we would make Pav Bhaji in a stove top pressure cooker, I changed this recipe to make it a one pot recipe in an instant pot and stove top pressure cooker. This makes cooking Pav Bhaji a lot easier and faster, but it doesn't compromise on taste.
Pav Bhaji is a great dish for entertainment as it allows you to make one dish for everyone. Even children love Pav Bhaji. Other popular Mumbai street foods are, Vada Pav and Sev Puri. Also check out our Mumbai Misal Pav which is a delicious spicy sprouts curry.
What are Pav Bhaji Ingredients?
Pav Bhaji has two parts:
Pav - This is dinner rolls., In India they are eggless buns that are easy to find in an Indian grocery store. However, you can choose to use diner buns or burger buns for pav bhaji. We used to even enjoy it with sliced bread.
Bhaji-Es is made from potatoes and vegetables that are cooked on a tomato basis. The main vegetables to use for Pav Bhaji are- cauliflower, green peas, carrots, peppers (or peppers).
Traditionally, Bhaji is prepared as a two-step process. The vegetables (potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, peas) are cooked very softly in a saucepan or pressure cooker., Then masala with onions and tomatoes is prepared separately in a frying pan and the cooked vegetable puree is added to the masala. Here, I'm going to share my simple one-pot method for making bhaji in the pressure cooker.
Pav Bhaji Masala
One of the specialty ingredients used in this recipe is Pav Bhaji Masala. Pav Bhaji is famous enough to have its own special blend of spices.
Since I always try to make my life easier with quick and easy cooking, I buy the ready-made pav bhaji masala from the store. My preferred pav bhaji masala brand is Everest.,
If you don't have pav bhaji masala at home and want to make pav bhaji, you can make pav bhaji masala at home.
Homemade Pav Bhaji Masala Recipe
For a quick homemade pav bhaji masala, combine the following:
1 teaspoon coriander powder + 1 teaspoon garam masala + 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (or lemon juice) + 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
Another special ingredient that I use in this recipe is Kashmiri Red Chili. It helps add the bright reddish color to the bhaji. You can buy it from Amazon using this link.
How do you do Pav Bhaji ?,
i always want bright red colored bhaji, however i don't want to add without artificial colors. With my mother's suggestion to use Kashmiri Red Chili, I now of course get the color I want. Soak Kashmiri Red Chili in 1 cup of water for 15 minutes, then grind to a smooth paste with ginger and garlic. Set this aside, we will add this as we cook the bhaji.
How do you make Pav Bhaji in the Instant Pot?
- Start Instant Pot in sauté mode and heat the butter in it. I suggest cooking bhaji in butter to enjoy the real Mumbai Bhaji taste.,
- Add onions and then add peppers and sauté for another 2 minutes. Again, I used red peppers to enhance the red color of the bhaji. Add tomatoes, pav bhaji masala, salt, and the ground chili paste. Mix well.,
- Then add the vegetables - potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and green peas. Mix well. Change the instant pot setting to pressure cooking mode for 8 minutes with vent in sealing position. When the instant pot beeps, of course, release the pressure. Then open it and coarsely grind the ingredients with a dip mixer. You can also use a potato masher to mash the bhaji to the consistency you want.
- Change the Instant Pot setting to sauté mode and let the bhaji cook for a minute. Stir in lemon juice.
- Bhaji is ready to be served. Garnish with coriander and chopped onions.,
How To Make Pav Bhaji In The Pressure Cooker?
The main difference from the above method for instant pot is the pressure cooking time on stove. We will pressure cook on a high flame until two pipes, then reduce to medium flame and cook for another 6 minutes., Everything else stays the same.
For pav or dinner rolls, heat a pan and melt some butter on it. Cut the pav in two slices and place on the melted butter. Lightly toast pav on both sides and they are ready to be served with the bhaji.
How to serve Pav Bhaji?
Put 1-2 ladles of bhaji in a plate. Add a dollop of butter. Sprinkle some chopped onions and cilantro on top. Sprinkle some lemon juice on top if you like a spicier taste. Serve with two buttered pavs on the side.,
Some common questions about Pav Bhaji
Will the cooking time change if I double the amount?
The cooking time stays the same even if you double the recipe. The Instant Pot just takes longer to come under pressure.
Which immersion mixer can I use? Can I use a potato masher?
I use the Cuisinart dip mixer, but any other dip mixer works just as well., If you like your veggies chunky rather than all mashed, you can use a potato masher as well.
Tips to Make the Best Pav Bhaji Recipe
✓ Do the bhaji with a generous amount of butter
✓ Use fresh ingredients like ginger, garlic, and fresh tomatoes.
✓ Don't forget the butter, lemon juice, lots of chopped onions and coriander to top the bhaji while serving.
✓ Toast the pav in plenty of butter and serve immediately.
Try this easy Mumbai Pav Bhaji Recipe and let me know how you like it., Check out this awesome collection of 29 best Instant Pot Indian Vegetarian Recipes.
Mumbai Pav Bhaji Recipe (One Pot)
Ingredients US CustomaryMetric 1x2x3x
- ▢ 2 tbsp Butter or Oil
- ▢ 2 cups diced Red Onions
- ▢ 3 cups Tomato chopped, about 5 large
- ▢ 1 ″ inch ginger
- ▢ 8 cloves Garlic
- ▢ 3 Whole Dried Kashmiri Red Chili Pepper
- ▢ 1 Bell pepper chopped, 130gms
- ▢ 3 Potato medium, peeled and chopped., I used russet potatoes.,
- ▢ 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- ▢ 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ▢ 10 Dinner rolls (Pav) or Dinner rolls
- ▢ 2 tbsp butter
- ▢ 1/2 Onion chopped
- ▢ 1/4 cup cilantro to garnish
- Soak red whole chili in 1 cup water for 15 mins., Grind chili, ginger and garlic together with the water to a paste. (Note: if you skip grinding chillies with water, add 1 cup of water before cooking and add the ginger / garlic along with the onions)
- Start the pressure cooker in sauté mode (high flame for the pressure cooker) and heat 2 tablespoons of butter / oil in it. Add onions and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add paprika and fry for another 2 minutes.,
- Add tomatoes, pav bhaji masala and salt. Add the ground chili paste. If something sticks to the bottom of the pot, scrape it off with a spatula. (See notes if you have had a burning problem in your Instant Pot or with 8qt Instant Pot)
- Add cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, and green peas. Mix well.
Instant Pot Method
- Press cancel and close lid with vent in sealing position., Change setting to manual or pressure cook mode for 8 minutes at high pressure. When the instant pot beeps, naturally release the pressure.
jerk stove method
- Close the lid, turn the heat on high flame and pressure cook it until you hear two whistles. Now reduce the flame to medium and cook for another 6 minutes. Turn off heat. Release the pressure of course.,
Mash and garnish the bhaji
- Open the pressure cooker and coarsely grind the ingredients with an immersion mixer. You can also use a potato masher to mash the bhaji to the consistency you want.
- Switch to sauté mode and let the bhaji cook for a minute. Mix the lemon juice. Bhaji is ready to be served.,
- Cut each pav or dinner in half.
- Heat the butter on a pan and place the sliced pav on top. Toast lightly on one side and then twist toast on the other side.
- Pav can be served with bhaji.,
Serve pav bhaji
- Put 1-2 ladles of bhaji in a plate. Add a dollop of butter. Sprinkle some chopped onions and cilantro on top. Sprinkle some lemon juice on top if you like a spicier taste. Serve with two buttered pavs on the side.
- The real Mumbai pav bhaji is always made with butter. However, you can also prepare it with oil.,
- I recommend using Kashmiri chili as it enhances the color of the bhaji. You can also use Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, about 1-2 teaspoons to your liking.
Pav Bhaji Masala: My favorite brand of pav bhaji masala is Everest. If you want to make a quick homemade Pav Bhaji Masala powder, here is the recipe - 1 teaspoon coriander powder + 1 teaspoon garam masala + 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (or lemon juice) + 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
Burn Issue or 8qt Instant Pot (Important): In newer versions of Instant Pot, many readers are faced with a Burn message. If you've ever seen a burn in your Instant Pot or are using an 8qt Instant Pot, add an extra 1/4 Add cup of water when you cook in step 3 and make sure to light the pot well.
Vegan variant: Use vegan butter or oil to prepare the bhaji and toast the pav.
Note: nutritional values are my best guesses. If you rely on them for your diet, use your favorite nutrition calculator.,
Other recipes for you to try in your Instant Pot:
- Rajma Masala with pot-in-pot basmati rice
- Egg curry
- Paneer Butter Masala
- How does muscle mass increase
- What is the height of the Everglows member
- Does the GT 1030 from Nvidia support CUDA programming?
- Have meteorite crystals
- How do sea birds eat crustaceans
- What big names are against crypto
- May I find an English teacher here
- Weeds will soon be legalized in New Jersey
- How much water is needed for digging
- Can I start a private cyber military?
- How can humanity hypothetically destroy the sun
- What are some interesting facts about Shiva
- Would unconscious chicken breeding be more humane
- What do evangelical Christians think of meditation?
- What is your favorite rum with black spices
- What makes lawyers happy
- What is the nature of a narcissist
- Which Warhammer 40K characters can Primarch defeat?
- What is Wicksellian Interest Rate
- The future is always changing
- Is Buhari better than Johnathan
- What is cardiac and pulmonary endurance
- Why are children afraid of scary
- Why are there stink bugs
- How can I identify my inner self
- What are the dangers of home oxygen
- Franklin D Roosevelt was black
- What is 8K video recording
- Should Neymar be hated so much
- The commercial sale of water should be banned
- How can a teenage PTSD overcome ADHD
- 6g is available in India
- What is customer-oriented product management