Does it snow in the Middle East
Violent winter storm in decades: Snow chaos in the Middle East
The Middle East has been hit by the worst winter storm in a long time. The disaster relief workers are also on duty one day after the snowfall.
The beautiful consequences of the snow storm: mountains of white cars in Jerusalem. Image: dpa
TEL AVIV / BEIRUT / CAIRO dpa | The worst winter storm in decades has thrown parts of the Middle East into chaos. In Israel, 35,000 households were still without electricity on Saturday after snowfalls around Jerusalem and floods in lower elevations. This means that people not only sat in the dark, but also in damp and cold apartments, which can usually only be heated electrically. However, an improvement in the weather was predicted for Sunday.
In Lebanon, civil protection units were deployed across the country to clear roads that had been snowed in the night before. In Cairo, where snow fell in some suburbs for the first time in decades, the weather improved on Saturday.
At least two people died as a result of the storm in Israel. A man fell from the roof of his house trying to mend a hole. A baby was killed in an apartment fire caused by a fan heater.
In Jerusalem there was still some remaining snow, but the precipitation eased somewhat and mostly turned into rain. The day before, the police had called on all people not to leave their homes if possible. However, many Israelis spend the Sabbath, which is similar to Sunday in Christian countries, at home anyway.
Many people in the Palestinian Gaza Strip suffered particularly. The social situation there is already difficult because of the long-standing Israeli and, since July, also the Egyptian blockade. Almost 100 people were injured because their emergency shelters, often only made of corrugated iron, could not withstand the storm. More than 2,200 people had to be rescued from flooded houses. In addition, there is rarely electricity. Heating material is also scarce.
In Lebanon, up to 40 centimeters of fresh snow fell at night in the eastern Bekaa plain, reported the online edition of the Daily Star. In the mountainous regions of southern Lebanon bordering Israel, snow fell up to 500 meters. At the weekend, the snow and rainfalls were expected to subside. It stayed dry in Cairo. The temperature reached 12 degrees Celsius. Next week, milder weather with temperatures between 17 and 20 degrees is expected again.
- How to check the fuel pressure
- Who are the creators who invented Twitter?
- Will acquire Google Optimizely
- How can the engagement of the online community be improved
- Which kind developed eyebrows first
- How is the hostel in CBIT Hyderabad
- What are the certifications in system architect
- Google Scholar still exists
- Which writing careers pay off best
- How do you determine the stock quantities
- How can I make money writing poetry
- What is the best guide to cryptocurrencies
- What are your favorite Warner animated films
- What is advertising creativity
- Why did you settle in Dhaka
- Why is Israel such a friendly place
- How does a teenage brain work
- How do I raise a blind dog
- How are these binary numbers calculated
- What is the essence of literature
- Is better accommodation or rental in Cardiff
- What is the technology design process
- Why are the Israelis so rich
- How do I prune vegetables and fruits
- Why don't babies like diapers
- How has singing changed since the 1960s
- A stray kitten can eat eggs
- What is the French term for behavior
- The mind is a function of time
- Will dropshipping be dead in 2019
- Dolly Parton had plastic surgery
- What is clinical hypnotherapy
- Are you open to new friends