What are the books on Obama's bookshelf
An american dream
Süddeutsche Zeitung | Meeting of May 31, 2008Non-fiction books of the month of June
Books from the humanities, cultural and social sciences and related areas are recommended based on a monthly ranking list.
1. HARTMUT BINDER: Kafka's world. A life chronicle in pictures. Rowohlt Verlag, 688 pages, 68 euros.
2. HARALD WELZER: Climate Wars. What is killed for in the 21st century. S. Fischer Verlag, 336 pages, 19.90 euros.
3. JAMES SHEEHAN: Continent of Violence. Europe's long road to peace. Translated by Martin Richter. C. H. Beck Verlag, 315 pages, 24.90 euros.
HANNS ZISCHLER / SARA DANIUS: Nose for news. Mixed news from James Joyce. Translated by Hanns Zischler. Zsolnay Verlag, 164 pages, 17.90 euros.
5th-6th FRANZ BAERMANN STEINER: Civilization and danger. Scientific writings. Edited by Jeremy Adler and Richard Fardon, translated by Brigitte Luchesi. Wallstein Verlag, 766 pages, 68 euros.
MICHAIL RYKLIN: Communism as a religion. The intellectuals and the October Revolution. Translated by Dirk Uffelmann and Elena Uffelmann. Insel Verlag, 192 pages, 17.80 euros.
7. MICHAEL BURLEIGH: Earthly powers, divine salvation. The history of the struggle between politics and religion from the French Revolution to the present day. Translated by Klaus Binder and Bernd Leineweber, Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, 1280 pages, 69.95 euros.
8. BARAK OBAMA: An American dream. The story of my family. Translated by Matthias Fienbork. Carl Hanser Verlag, 448 pages, 24.90 euros.
9-10 TOM REISS: The orientalist. On the trail of Essad Bay. Translated by Jutta Bretthauer. Osburg Verlag, 470 pages, 25.90 euros.
OLIVER SACKS: The one-armed pianist. About music and the brain. Translated by Hainer Kober. Rowohlt Verlag, 400 pages, 19.90 euros.
Special recommendation of the month of June 2008 from Petra Kammann: JUTTA LIMBACH: Does German have a future? Our language in the globalized world. C. H.Beck Verlag, 106 pages, 14.90 euros.
The jury: Rainer Blasius, Eike Gebhardt, Fritz Göttler, Wolfgang Hagen, Daniel Haufler, Otto Kallscheuer, Matthias Kamann, Petra Kammann, Guido Kalberer, Elisabeth Kiderlen, Jörg-Dieter Kogel, Hans Martin Lohmann, Ludger Lütkehaus, Herfried Münkler, Wolfgang Ritschl , Florian Rötzer, Johannes Saltzwedel, Albert von Schirnding, Norbert Seitz, Eberhard Sens, Hilal Sezgin, Volker Ullrich, Andreas Wang, Uwe Justus Wenzel.
Editor: Andreas Wang (NDR Kultur)
The next SZ / NDR / BuchJournal-
List of non-fiction books of the month will be published on June 30th.
SZdigital: All rights reserved - Süddeutsche Zeitung GmbH, Munich
A service from DIZ München GmbH
- Who won the war with Alexander
- What musical instruments require surgical implants
- Why didn't Eliza marry Professor Higgins?
- Which is the largest organism in the world
- Who was the mastermind behind ABBA
- Last name issues Australia visa
- How important is English to children
- How satellites identify different plant species
- What do Hindus think of this article
- Why did Mohammed marry an older woman
- How useful is Google Home in India
- What was your most embarrassing hobby in your childhood
- Does Satan know the future
- What are notable works of metaphilosophy
- Why do people prefer a Vespa scooter
- The EU is doomed to fail
- Frustrate difficult video games
- Have squirrel territory
- Why do tyrants like to write poetry
- How much does a 3D printer cost
- Can you describe the pain in pictures?
- Which processors use microcoding
- What does psoriasis look like
- What is Rails
- Why are all Thanksgiving turkeys dry
- Can search engines read PDF files
- How is Modi seen in Bihar
- How to check Google Apps
- The English Wikipedia is full of crap
- Where does gluconeogenesis take place
- Who invented belts?
- What is the basic device for IoT
- How to cook a ham ankle