What will kill algae
Killer alga kills fish with a bite
Research controversy about deadly algae poison
Algae kill fish not with poison, but with deadly bites. American researchers at the University of Virginia discovered this, reports the science magazine Nature. The researchers noticed this because the toxin in the algae alone did not kill the fish. The algae have a kind of eating tool that injures the fish skin in such a way that the animals then perish.
The mode of action of the genus killer algae Pfiesteria has sparked heated controversy among scientists. After the occurrence of the "red tide", thousands of fish have died time and again on the coastal strip. Therefore, the researchers assumed that the toxins of the algae are responsible for the death of the fish. However, during precise studies on the east coast of the USA, the scientists were able to prove that the poison does not exist and that it is therefore not responsible for the death of the fish.
Wolfgang Vogelbein from the Virginia Institute of Marine Science at Gloucester Point did not find any conclusive evidence of the presence of toxins in the first experiments with the algae and the fish. Rather, the team was able to determine that the algae use their eating tools and kill the fish in the process.
According to the science magazine, some researchers still believe that some of the algae kill with a toxin. JoAnn Burkholder from the University of North Carolina in Raleigh has identified highly toxic algae of the Pfiesteria genus. After five years of research, it was also possible to find the toxin that kills a fish within five minutes. Other researchers deny that.
What is certain is that the rapidly growing algae can bring an abrupt end to the fishing industry. In 1997, the mass death of fish off the coast of the US state of Maryland resulted in damage of $ 43 million. Thousands of fish perished back then.
All news in the category: Life Sciences Chemistry
The innovations-report offers in the field of "Life Sciences" reports and articles on applications and scientific knowledge of modern biology, chemistry and human medicine.
Among other things, you will find interesting facts from the sub-areas: bacteriology, biochemistry, bionics, bioinformatics, biophysics, biotechnology, genetics, geobotany, human biology, marine biology, microbiology, molecular biology, cell biology, zoology, bioinorganic chemistry, microchemistry and environmental chemistry.
- Which is the most affordable car in 2019
- What is a flat file database
- Will release Capcom Devil May Cry 5
- Why aren't you proud to be European?
- What is the Bermuda Triangle 16
- What company started mobile money
- What makes botany and horticulture so different
- How does air escape from a balloon
- Can orchids be grafted
- How does human blood taste
- How are Bundesbank shares
- How do stars affect planets?
- Why can't fat people become stewardesses?
- How does an elevator control work
- What are some original cool superhero names
- Can China use social media
- What is the SEZ unit
- Are you satisfied as a teacher
- Why do some strategic management plans fail?
- What will America achieve in the 2020s
- What is digital marketing
- Make high school friendships last
- What does ILC mean in real estate
- Alcohol can make you feel sad