How do pigeons live without food
Feeding of pigeons
In nature, pigeons feed almost exclusively on vegetable food. In contrast to other birds, they cannot chop up grains or seeds with their beak and therefore swallow them whole.
Then help with digestion small stones in the gizzardbreaking the husks of the grains. Wild pigeons pick up these stones when they pick the grains from the ground.
Taubengrit - the digestive secret of the pigeon
Taubengrit is made from a high quality feed additive insoluble quartz grains with 2-3 mm grain and a rounded grain shape. The pigeons ingest these grains to support the grinding action of the gizzard. The simplified digestion promotes feed utilization and growth of the pigeons, as well as that Well-being and vitality. Grit should always be made freely available to the animals.
In addition, pigeons differ from other birds in that they do not lift their heads when they drink, but instead suck up the water.
Species-appropriate basic feed for pigeons
Pigeons need about 25-40 grams of basic feed per day. As Forage is to be offered to all pedigree pigeons, depending on the season and in different proportions of grain:
- Sweet peas
- Sunflower seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Milk thistle seed
- Forage plants
Pigeon feed for late summer to early autumn
For example, pigeons need to moult in late summer through early fall more nitrogenous feed, as well as a balanced mixture of proteins, as the renewal of the plumage is very exhausting for the animals.
Pigeon feed for the winter
In winter it is recommended to bring the pigeons with you yeast to feed.
Pigeon feed in spring
In the breeding season in spring (March) one is especially suitable Feeding wheat, seeds and peas. Hemp, aniseed, millet and linseed are particularly popular with pigeons.
Good to know: A pigeon that has to fly or raise young as a carrier pigeon has significantly higher nutritional requirements than a pigeon that is less active. Good nutrition ensures the general health of the pigeon and the best possible condition.
Ready-made feed for pigeons
High-quality feed in the form of pressed feed and coated grains is also commercially available.
What is important is the optimal supply of:
- amino acids
- Trace elements
Depending on the energy requirements before, during or after hatching, the mixtures are either offered in a suitable composition by specialist dealers, or the breeder puts together the mixture himself from individual seeds. In practice, a distinction is made between: Breeding fodder, young pigeon fodder, moulting fodder, resting and winter fodder.
Pick stones - a must in every pigeon stall
A picking stone is a mineral stone that ensures sufficient absorption of magnesium, sodium and other trace elements. In addition, the animals in the dovecote are more active, they have a lower level of stress and are less prone to feather pecking. The pigeons only peck when they really need them, e.g. when returning from a flight, during breeding and moulting. They can be made available in a suitable trough all year round.
Controversial: feeding pigeons in the city
Pigeons in the city are often fed scraps of food and bread instead of grains or other seeds. Generally, however processed foods High in carbohydrates and salt, unsuitable for birds. This also includes salty bread or pastries.
It is better to use suitable food:
- Are good choices dried corn, for example popcorn corn, sunflower seeds or dried peas. In addition, pigeons tolerate wheat or spelled grains and raw brown rice well.
- You can also clickFeed mixes from a pet shop use that are specially tailored to the needs of the animals and provided with valuable minerals.
In many cities, however, feeding pigeons is fundamental due to monument protection, pollution of inner cities, the risk of disease transmission and the containment of the pigeon population prohibited in public places. Violations will be with Fines punished.
Cities in which repeated feeding is punished with high fees include, for example, Munich, Stuttgart, Cologne, Hamburg and Dortmund.
But animal lovers can do the pigeons in gardens or on balconies happy to continue to supply, here you can then fall back on species-appropriate feed.
You might also be interested in
- Rockaway Beach or Coney Island that rule
- Why Dhoni and Gambhir developed rivalry
- How are microspheres worse than sand silt?
- What are the reasons for political integration
- How is SAP HANA useful
- What's your favorite Disney hero character
- Why do new ventures fail
- How will Facebook end
- How are obsessive-compulsive disorder and narcissism related?
- How is selenium used in load tests
- Men are physically more capable than women
- A thesis can consist of three sentences
- Would you be happier than you
- What is FL Studio Compatible Storage
- How are seasons created 1
- Will the world end in 10 years
- Are all people unconsciously connected
- How do chemical and nuclear reactions differ?
- Why is Starbucks not a franchise
- Persian is a Latin language
- Every scientific theory is based on facts
- External Scrum certification is useful
- Why is cardio hated
- Will Google lose its dominance in search