What's in a chef's knife set
Chef's knife: interesting facts and tips
Which knives belong in a perfect set?
Anyone who wants to cook should have a variety of different knives to choose from. The standard equipment should consist of one Chef's knife, a smaller one kitchenknife, one Bread knife and one Filleting knife consist. Here you can see which knife is suitable for which purpose:
- Boning knife: The blade is narrow and slightly curved. This knife is good for separating fat and tendons from meat.
- Bread knife: The serrated blade is great for slicing bread.
- Chinese chef's knife or cleaver: The blade is almost rectangular here. The knife is suitable for chopping vegetables and herbs.
- Filleting knife: This knife with its narrow, pointed blade is ideal for removing fish filets or fruit fillets made from citrus fruits.
- Paring knife: The blade is straight and usually between 8 and 10 centimeters long. Vegetables are easy to cut with the knife.
- Chef's knife: This knife is larger than the general-purpose kitchen knife and has a straight blade. It is suitable for cutting, chopping or weighing vegetables, meat or fish.
- Santoku knife: The Japanese knife is also known as the knife of the three virtues and cuts meat, fish and vegetables. Santoku is a Japanese blade shape for kitchen knives. The blade is wide and less pointed compared to European knives. Due to the special hardness of the blade, the knife is particularly sharp. If the knife also has so-called kullen, i.e. small notches, very fine slices can be cut.
- Paring knife: The blade is slightly hollowed out. The knife is ideal for cleaning and peeling fruit and vegetables.
- Ham knife: This knife has a narrow blade and is suitable for cutting meat.
- Paring knife, also called all-purpose knife: Vegetables, fruit and meat can be cut well with the pointed blade.
- Steak knife: With its sharp and pointed blade, this knife is suitable for cutting fried and grilled steak.
- Universal knife with shaft: The wave shape makes the knife perfect for cutting tomatoes or bread rolls.
What is a chef's knife?
A chef's knife is larger than the general-purpose kitchen knife and is used for cutting, chopping, or weighing vegetables, meat, or fish. It consists of a shaft to hold the knife and a blade. Chef's knives are often heavy so that they can relieve the arm and hand during longer work. In order to be able to work ideally with the knife, the blade lies between the thumb and forefinger.
Our knife recommendations
In our photo gallery you will find novelties and classics from the knife scene, mainly from the chef's knife sector.
Photo gallery: Noble kitchen knives18 images
What are good chef's knives?
Bad knives differ from good ones in that they are cut or punched out of strip steel. The knife blade is often heavier than the handle. As a result, the handle is badly balanced. Good knives are usually forged. The blades are often made of several layers of steel.
A good knife should cut well, sit comfortably in the hand, i.e. ergonomically shaped, well balanced and made of one piece. So you don't feel the transition between the handle and the knife when cutting.
Ceramic knives are usually sharp for a particularly long time and do not have to be sharpened often. Unfortunately, if they hit the ground, they break quickly.
Chef's knife: which length is the right one?
The optimal length for a chef's knife roughly corresponds to the length of the forearm. As a rule, the ideal length for a chef's knife is between 20 and 25 centimeters in length. However, many suppliers also offer chef's knives from a length of 13 centimeters.
Where to buy a knife
It is best to buy chef's knives from a trusted dealer. Knives from the supermarket are often not of such high quality, which can be attributed to the low price and the manufacturing costs.
Proper knife care
Always rinse and dry knives by hand. Do not put in the dishwasher. This makes the knives dull. Regular sharpening makes the blade sharp again. It is best to use knives on a wooden board. Porcelain or glass boards make the blade dull more quickly.
It is best to store knives in a knife stand or hanging on a metal strip. If the knives are kept together in the drawer, they will become blunt because they can hit each other again and again.
How can you sharpen knives correctly?
To browse further
- How should the reservation be made
- What are dead skin cells
- Can you decipher this word ADM
- Can someone help clarify this dream
- What is the difference between RAM and Cores
- How to find wild honey bees
- Will Google lose its dominance in search
- What is deontologism
- Can vegetarians eat Toblerone from Switzerland chocolate?
- Which sport should I try first?
- Does astigmatism mean you will go blind
- What's wrong with my strawberry plants
- Where can I find historical option prices
- How can I start learning C1
- What are not musical sounds
- How do I approach a girl 7
- Was Albrecht Duerer against Christianity
- When did raiders move to Oakland?
- How is advertising misinformed
- When does the speciation take place
- Is communism morally superior to capitalism?
- Why did you leave Chevron
- Singing commercials out of fashion
- Where can I learn ukulele in Chennai
- Which cultures had a common upbringing of children?
- Do men have a beauty operation
- Why is Brexit so famous
- How can I get hybrid medical strains
- Is it important to have a spiritual guide?
- Who started the Amazon fire
- How does a good lifestyle motivate you?
- Reading only wears out an SSD
- Why do lumberjacks wear padded shirts?
- What are some blooming calligraphy tips