How was the internet before Google
The history of search engines - from the first index for FTP archives in 1990 to Microsoft's mobile voice assistant in 2014.
With timelines like this, you notice again how quickly time has passed - or how much you have aged yourself in the meantime. Because I still remember well how I surfed the Internet for the first time in 1993 while studying abroad in England.
At that time, for example, there was still the gopher service as a graphic access system to the Internet - i.e. an alternative to the World Wide Web, which appeared around the same time. Correct internet search engines were still in short supply. The very first was Archie - a search index specially designed for FTP archives from 1990.
As the first major search engine, Excite was launched in early 1993. For many early Internet users like myself, Altavista, designed by the US computer manufacturer Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC), was even more important. The service started in early 1994 and was something of the search engine standard for the first few years.
That should only change with the start of today's search leader ‘Google - albeit not immediately: After the start in 1996, it felt like it took until around the turn of the millennium for Google to take the lead in this country as well. The rest is history - today Google has a quasi-monopoly with a market share of 93 percent in Europe.
But even after that there are still innovations in the search engine market - one thinks, for example, of the Google alternative DuckDuckGo, which got by without storing user data and which was launched in 2008. Or the voice-based search assistant Siri for the iPhone from 2011 and Cortana in the Microsoft mobile system Windows Phone since 2014.
For more facts and figures from 25 years of Internet search engine history, click twice on the following infographic (it will be smaller the first time):
A quarter of a century of IT revolution: 25 years of the World Wide Web
From the first email to the first tweet: The most important Internet milestones
15 years of Google: From online search to Internet dominator
Infographic: How much internet usage increased between 1984 and 2013
- How can I keep track of a VoIP number
- Zinc nitrate and copper carbonate react
- How was Quora before it got famous
- How intelligent are Egyptian intelligence officers
- Should I overcome my fear of driving?
- Who invented belts?
- Should we pass the Green New Deal
- Which museums should I visit in Prague?
- Which phones have DDR4 RAM
- What is the most successful song by White Zombies
- How can I get this domain name
- What is ground shield
- What kind of ship is that
- Anorexia affects brain size of intelligence
- What is Nadi Shodhan Pranayam
- How often do babies feed for three months
- How does the global DFJ network work
- How did the distortion begin?
- Why should I buy a PlayStation 4?
- Can we check the train between the stations?
- Can you define love in one sentence?
- Why don't ceramic knives break easily
- Do angels and demons affect your life
- How good is Capilano University