Prisoners can have cell phones
Cell phones in jail: CDU wants quick radio silence
Cell phone calls from inside a prison cell are usually prohibited. In Hamburg, however, they have not been a problem since the end of April - because of the corona pandemic. As visits have been severely curtailed, prisoners have been given simple cell phones with rechargeable credit so that they can keep in touch with their families. Now that the visiting restrictions have largely been lifted, the telephones are now to be returned. The CDU thinks that is overdue. In general, the cell phones are a high security risk and must be taken away from the prisoners immediately.
The judicial authority has already ordered the cell phones to be collected again, but with a generous transition period until the end of next month. "Of course, the prisoners also have to adjust again," said Hamburg's Justice Senator Anna Gallina (Greens). "Corresponding visits must first be planned again, which have not taken place for a very long time by the relatives. And of course they have also acquired credit that they should be able to call."
470 cell phones were distributed by the judicial authority
According to Gallina, all cell phones should be collected by September 30th. The judicial authority issued a total of 470 cell phones for 20 euros each. The inmates also have to pay for the phone cards themselves. But by no means all have obeyed the rules. In the Billwerder correctional facility alone, there have been more than 50 violations since the end of April, which, according to the judicial authorities, were not serious.
"You have to imagine that there are of course very strict rules," said Gallina. For example, you are not allowed to take your cell phone out of the cell and it must always be visible on the table. Especially in the first time, prisoners would have had the cell phone on their bodies again. "But that also regulated itself quite well over time."
CDU fears high security risk
The CDU sees it completely differently. There is a high number of unreported cases, especially when it comes to violations. Due to other tasks, the staff is not at all able to carry out comprehensive checks. In general, the cell phones are a high security risk and must be taken away from the prisoners immediately.
"It is not possible for them to do their business from the prison room," said Richard Seelmaecker, judicial policy spokesman for the CDU parliamentary group. "To give them the means to do so is scandalous and on top of that burdens the execution with the necessary density of controls, which does not even exist." In the week after next, the citizens should vote on the CDU application to collect the cell phones immediately.
This topic in the program:
Hamburg Journal | 08/22/2020 | 19:30 o'clock
- Why will Cersei Kings Landing burn
- What is Forbidden City
- Is WhatsApp illegal in China
- What is your favorite Shayari video
- Immodium heals stomach pain
- What are the signs of diabetes
- Why simple questions are so popular with Quora
- Sometimes empaths can experience symptoms of depression
- Which alphabet is a source of salt
- Where can I buy life-extension products
- How to fix ChexSystems problems
- What is deontologism
- What are some hotel websites
- Why sneezes bad omen
- Can be washed polyester
- I don't want to be on Quora
- How should agnosticism be taught
- Typing is viewed as a skill these days
- How venture capitalists raise new funds
- What is the tastiest cheese
- How can you spot a fake crypto currency
- What is Dokken's most successful song
- How can one overcome lifelong lethargy
- Why do companies pay to post jobs
- What makes an argument absurd
- How smart are ATMs
- What is DDA HIG apartments
- What does the abbreviation FACP stand for?
- Can foxes jump? If so, how high
- What are the characteristics of a kiosk
- Should I practice self-discipline or luck?
- UBC is a graduate mill school
- How are these binary numbers calculated
- Why do dogs eat something