Why do teachers often use comic sans
What's wrong with Comic Sans?
There are technical , compatible , legal , authentic and subjective Reasons for Not Using. I will list the reasons one by one with examples and references.
Hitler freaks out about Comic Sans
There are a handful in there technical Reasons not to use it.
The first was a lack of italic variants. Comic Sans Pro tried to correct this, and Microsoft merged the new variants into Comic Sans in Windows 8.
Second, Comic Sans isn't a very good comic font, it has sub-optimal and shaky characters with poor kerning:
It should be noted that Comic Sans scores very well in some studies for readability - Diemand-Yauman, C.; Oppenheimer, DM; Vaughan, EB (2011). "Happiness Favors the Bold (and Italic): Impact of dissatisfaction on educational outcomes ".
Comic Sans has also been criticized for print disabilities and is unsuitable for large blocks of text.
Here is a small block by the architect on the left and a comic without it on the right:
While Comic Sans is very much loved by many teachers and self-proclaimed readability experts, from the passages above you will see that there are quite a few fancy letter functions in relation to the font on the left, while the other passage is more as you imagine, the hard-working teacher would have written on the blackboard. You probably think sometimes that Comic Sans is easy to read, that the teachers just like it.
taken from http://typoface.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/typefaces-for-disabilities.html#comicasb
Examples of unusual letter forms are the euro symbol:
"The EU would sue us about it." - Vincent Connare
While it is criticized, it is also recommended for others. Few studies have been conducted to prove this, however, and most of Comic Sans' support is justified by simplicity and personal anecdotes ("Well, my brother is dyslexic and he says ...").
It is noteworthy that Comic Sans has a few features that are helpful in this regard, such as: B. Asymmetric glyphs for b / d, p / q etc.
Here is the attitude of the British Dyslexia Associations:
We asked members of the Dyslexia Forum. Few people answered. Hence, it may not be a burning problem for most dyslexics. It is likely that line length, line spacing, and font size are just as important. Some loved comic sans, others hated it. Some liked Century Gothic and teachers like Sassoon for sale. The screen and print settings may differ.
Learn more about dyslexia and fonts related to Comic Sans
Here's a Skeptics Stack Exchange question: "Is the Comic Sans font easier to read for dyslexics?"
Microsoft's own Comic Sans copy quoted in the Comic Sans Café:
Comic Sans is the groovy script font that comes with Windows 95 Plus! Pack and is now available for the Apple Macintosh. While it can be thought of as a novel font that is great for titles, it is very readable on the screen even in small sizes, which makes it a useful text face.
The above quote and the full Microsoft Comic Sans website with full sample can be found here
In Regarding the compatibility Comic Sans isn't as widespread as people think either. See this superuser question for Comic Sans MS Linux support. Use of Comic Sans does not guarantee any compatibility .
If you're on Ubuntu, here's how to install the Microsoft Core fonts.
"If this site does NOT look like Comic Sans, you are probably using Linux!" - The Uncyclopedia page on Comic Sans
Legally speaking Comic Sans is not an open and free font, just very, very common, and there is a little-known request for a license from Microsoft & Monotype. A subscription to fonts.com is also required for use in css. Unfortunately, the author does not receive any royalties as Vincent was a contributor when he produced the font. The main reason users can use it is because Microsoft is paying Apple and others for these licenses.
Authenticity & Sincerity
There are Reasons of authenticity for not using Comic Sans. While most of these are undone by the simple fact that Comic Sans is a digital font, the idea of comic fonts is that they are analogous to real-world attempts at hand lettering.
Or this xkcd:
Now, compare these fully to this comic set in Comic Sans for an example of how effective Comic Sans is as a comic font:
Some good points regarding sincerity were made through an art installation called the Sincerity Machine:
Click above to play
The sincerity machine was a typewriter set entirely in Comic Sans
There are, however subjective Reasons not to use it:
- There are fonts with superior design and technical characteristics like comic new ones
- Comic Sans was designed for comics in the age of low resolution screens. It should never be printed on billboards and placed in PowerPoint slides
- Comic Sans is not a legitimate font, and its use in legitimate applications is either satire or indicates a lack of seriousness or professionalism
- There are more readable and readable fonts
There is also the testimony of the author of Comic Sans:
In his own words on an article on deezen.com:
"I think people who don't like Comic Sans don't know about design," Connare told Dezeen. "They don't understand that you have a job in design."
He later compares the font to pink tracksuits and Justin Bieber:
"There are 200 to 300 fonts on every computer, but people choose Comic Sans because it's different and it looks more like handwriting than an old-school textbook," said Connare. "It's a personal choice. The same one might ask why people like Ugg boots, Justin Bieber, or pink tracksuits."
"Comic Sans was in line with the mandate of the entire Microsoft Consumer Division to install a 'computer in every home' and popularize something for the people in those homes and their children. Comic Sans is used by children, mothers, and many others Loved fathers So it did its job very well. It suited the job! "
For more information, check out a story from Comic Sans by Mashable here
Tom J Nowell
- Sunil Dutt was older than Nargis Dutt
- Do you want to get pregnant?
- Which is the best twitter management tool
- When does pleasure become pain?
- Why are goats temperamental
- What is open pollination
- Why did you become a coach
- Why do mountains look scary
- Is it safe to buy an antivirus from Amazon
- Which classic films should I see
- Which is greater than 25 or 29
- Eggs are good for the face
- What careers would include math and English
- What is the equation of 7 9
- Why does yeast breath anaerobically
- Can I drink alcohol on Advil
- What does the word lexicon mean
- What does the Japanese word omiyage mean
- How can I stop feeling so excited?
- What is an electronic card reader
- How do I hang up curtain rods?
- How is technology beneficial to us?
- Is flame a solid liquid or gas
- Why is personal financial planning important
- How does PCI Express work
- Would you make a good ruler
- Did you plan to get married 1
- Which is a good side benefit
- Which factors influence the attitude
- What is an instance in GUI programming
- Are anti-Islamic Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris
- What are some signs of jealousy
- How fast is the response time of a police force
- Stress alone can cause fibromyalgia in men