Nature How can I overcome arachnophobia
Fear Of Spiders: How To Overcome Arachnophobia
Last update: March 14, 2021
Arachnids are fascinating creatures, and they come in all shapes and sizes. We are fascinated by their impressive hunting habits and their extraordinary behavior every day anew. However, there are also many people who suffer from an anxiety disorder called arachnophobia. This irrational scared of spiders is widespread. Therefore, in today's article we want to tell you how to overcome them.
At this point we would like to point out that the author of this article is not a psychologist. So if you have a severe phobia, we recommend that you see a professional.
About arachnids (arachnida)
These creatures are a class of arthropods that encompass much more than the typical eight-legged spiders. This group includes real spiders, tarantulas, ticks, vinegar spiders and amblypygids. Despite their different shapes, they still have some common features:
All have two different body regions: a prosoma (cephalothorax) and an opisthosoma (abdomen).
- They all have a few chelicerae, mouthpieces that break down food.
- In addition, they all have four pairs of limbs - the front ones often have different shapes depending on their function.
- In addition, they are all egg-shaped and feed mainly on insects.
Did you scared of spiders and are you still curious to find out more about these fascinating animals? Whatever your answer, below we're going to look at ways you can overcome this spider fear.
How to overcome your fear of spiders
First of all, we would like to point out that there is a difference between fear and phobia. Fear of arachnids is relatively normal as it is an evolutionary mechanism. People naturally fear animals that are different. And spiders and tarantulas are visually very different from us.
In contrast, a phobia can have serious symptoms such as sweating, nausea, panic attacks, tachycardia, and even paralysis when faced with something to which they are phobic - in this case, a spider. Therefore, it is always a good idea to seek help from a psychologist before this develops into a more serious disorder.
Yet there is also a possibility that you can try for yourself. It will surely help you overcome your irrational fear of spiders, if it is not extremely strong. Just read on to see what you can do.
This form of therapy basically aims to end avoidant behavior. Man instinctively flees everything that creates negative feelings in him. This happens even when there are no spiders in a room at all. Just looking at a photo or painting of a spider can make a person become phobic.
As a result, the immediate solution for a person wanting to avoid stress and anxiety is to simply move away from the focus of the problem. However, this fear can increase over time and further intensify the already negative reaction.
Exposure therapy tries to completely break the dynamic described above. Therefore, you have to face your fear in order to be able to overcome it. But of course that doesn't mean that a person who is afraid of spiders should jump into a pool full of spiders. Instead the point is that you should gradually learn to be around her.
How does exposure therapy work to overcome fear of spiders?
By following the steps below, you can gradually get used to the presence of spiders. This process only takes time and patience.
- First of all, you start by looking at photos of arachnids for a short time. Two or three minutes a day is a good place to start. As long as the feeling of fear that this sight will give you is moderate, you should try not to suppress that fear. The point here is that you make your fear your own.
- Later, you can move on to watching videos or documentaries to learn various facts about arachnids. We recommend that you focus on salticidae and tarantulas because these arachnids have relatively friendly aspects. In fact, there are many people who think they are cozy and fluffy.
- The final step is actually interacting with a spider. Certain species of tarantula such as the genus Brachypelma are completely harmless. You will learn how to handle this animal under the supervision of a knowledgeable person. And thus finally overcome your fear of spiders.
When you overcome your fear of spiders you can really be proud of yourself!
Indeed, overcoming arachnophobia is a positive achievement. Because through this you will learn to appreciate one of the fascinating invertebrates in the animal kingdom. Additionally, it's great to have spiders around you as they feed on mosquitoes and other insects that can transmit diseases.You might be interested in ...
- INFPs are easy to manipulate emotionally
- What is an agirin
- Who is the CEO of Grantland
- What kind of headphones do you like
- What is maltose different than a polysaccharide
- When will the mhcet rankings be published?
- Which brand makes the best ads
- How accurate are Google consumer surveys
- How do I do 25 and more
- Why is trans often grouped with sexuality
- What is the difference between legal history and science?
- Whooping methane or belch it
- Is Pucon Chile in Patagonia
- What do you mean by prokaryotic cells
- Where do quantitative trading companies recruit from
- How successful will Motorola Solutions be
- Is water lily pollen dangerous
- What is Veer Cosmetics' Refund Policy
- Why are expensive cars being devalued?
- When does acid reflux cause cancer
- What is the concept behind the propeller clock
- Why time decreases with increasing speed
- Feels frustrated differently than anger
- What good skills does philosophy teach?
- What is an anti-bird net
- What is the best model rocket
- What is the full form of XBRL
- What is a good free SERP checker
- What are the characteristics of Tally
- Why should you choose quartz instead of granite?
- Who is the inventor of negative numbers
- Do you believe in soul ties
- How can I unlock my account?