What is the radius of the earth
Eratosthenes was born around 276 BC. Born in Cyrene (today Shahhad, Libya). He died around 195 BC. In Alexandria (Alexandria is marked with 'A' on the right of the two maps.).
Eratosthenes was a pupil of Callimachus, a friend of Archimedes and himself one of the greatest scientists of his time. Among other things, he dealt with geography, astronomy and mathematics. He designed a map of the world with the help of a coordinate network of parallel circles and meridians, set up a star catalog with 675 stars and invented a method for finding prime numbers: the 'Sieve of Eratosthenes'. In addition, Eratosthenes is regarded as the founder of chrononology and scientific geography. And he headed the famous library of Alexandria1) Meyer's great pocket dictionary, Large lexicon of astronomy by Joachim Herrmann (Mosaik-Verlag).
Eratosthenes determined alpha (or gamma) to be about 1/50 of a full angle. Beta therefore also had to make up 1/50 of 360 °. So the length of the 'route' AS from Alexandria to Syene had to fit approx. 50 times into the desired circumference of the earth. Eratosthenes only needed this distance from Alexandria to Syene to roughly determine the circumference of the earth.
One reads that Eratosthenes should have asked a friend to determine this distance. The measurement showed that Syene was 5,000 stadiums (1 stadium was 157.5 m) from Alexandria. According to Eratosthenes, the circumference of the earth had to be 50 * 5,000 stadia = 250,000 stadia or 50 * (5000 * 157.5 m) = 39,375,000 m = 39,375 km long.
- When will Bittrex include IOTA
- Is the shear force a single force
- How can you learn Git online
- Are there arranged marriages in Europe?
- How valuable is it to use cashback websites
- Who is the lead singer from Staind
- What is a DDFL internet network
- Is a diploma a good career choice
- Which alphabet is a source of salt
- How do I get AdSense in Blogger
- How do the personal hotspot charges work for the iPhone
- How would I make a sneaker bot
- Which chakra is related to dehydration?
- Why do so many farmers' markets fail
- How can I download Tableau software
- Which is a good side benefit
- What are your favorite foods in Pittsburgh
- Who has the coolest police uniforms
- College students can get food stamps
- Will he ever love me like he did before
- What is your opinion on Wealthsimple
- What's the best scene in Star Trek
- Always listening to Siri
- What do you prescribe for people with HPPD