What sound does a tanuki make
A raccoon dog on a longboard cruises on endlessly winding streets through a colorful world of vaporwaves.
By Robert Glashüttner
It is the perfect answer to “Out Run”: 35 years ago, as a white man, we raced through wide, palm-lined streets in a Ferrari Testarossa. Today we cruise on them as a kind of raccoon with a longboard, into the infinity of the striking vaporwave aesthetic, the successful retro remix of the 2010s.
Animal drifting and grinding
Strictly speaking, a tanuki is not a raccoon, but a sub-form of the Asian raccoon dog, which looks very similar to the raccoon. Our game tanuki doesn't care about his parentage at first, he primarily wants to look dope and throw himself on his longboard. It works intuitively, in other words, we steer our rolling animal to the left and right, accelerate and brake. And we try not to bang into cars, stones, barriers or other obstacles.
"Tanuki Sunset", developed by Rewind Games, has been released for Windows. A freely available demo has been playable in the browser since 2019.
Driving is just the beginning, because “Tanuki Sunset” is all about confident style and cool tricks. Drifting is the most important technique that we should learn quickly so that we can get through the many hairpin bends safely. Later there are also jump ramps; and if you are really brave, you can grind around the edge of the road - that gives you additional points. Important to know at this point: All routes are floating in the air. So if such a grind doesn't work, it doesn't put our tanuki on the buttocks, it sails into the abyss.
The seagull occasionally invites us to run.
Fast and tricky
"Tanuki Sunset" is colorful and funny: the versatile soundtrack fits perfectly with the vaporwave or 80ies look of the game and the endless cruising and drifting through the winding streets. Speaking of which: the levels are not really endless, but they are quite long. This racing game is clearly a marathon, not a sprint. In the beginning you should concentrate on getting through the individual sections without falling, which is not that easy at first. Once control has become part of the flesh and blood, one can be more courageous. If you want to win badges and challenges later on, you should drive fast and tricky.
You can't buy the stylish moves, but you can buy new outfits as well as decks, trucks and wheels for the board, but they only differ from one another optically.
The game was developed by a team of just two from Canada. It has enough challenges to keep you entertained for at least a long weekend. And let's be honest: where else can you skate with raccoon dogs on longboards?
"Tanuki Sunset" in the FM4 Spielekammerl show
Today (Thursday, January 7th) Michaela Pichler and Robert Glashüttner will play “Tanuki Sunset” in the FM4 Spielekammerl show, which - like every Thursday - takes place live from 5pm to 9pm on twitch.tv/radio_fm4. Stop by and chat with us!
- How is it that animals evolved to reproduce?
- How do I stay alert while walking
- How is Kung Fu in China
- What are the VoIP security measures
- Are humans really the descendants of monkeys?
- Why didn't we read every day
- What is a post-money rating
- What is good object-oriented design?
- Is Messi better than Ronaldinho
- Mariah Carey is a mean person
- What does AEW offer that WWE does not
- What's in mechanical engineering
- What is the best weight loss trick
- Who makes better routers Cisco or Juniper
- Allow your hormones to recover from steroid use
- Why isn't Lindsay Lohan still rich?
- Why is milk a heterogeneous product
- What Makes Good Web Copy Convert
- What is health with fashion
- What is the risk with online wallet Kyc
- How can I describe a classroom setting
- What's new in MIUI 11
- What reacts with radon
- What is the story of Tibet and China
- Which smartphone under 500 should I buy
- Why is Western Ghats has more port
- What are the most complex FPS games
- Why is the sky green sometimes
- Why is Russia jealous of huge Vietnam
- How do I create a Playfair cipher
- How do people get slaves from the Illuminati
- What happened to Koenig Midas
- How can I make money writing poetry