Who proposed Abdul Kalam as president
suedasien.info - the information portal on South Asia
India voted. From April 20 to May 10 this year, 675 million Indians were called to vote for the Lok Sabha, the lower house. The early vote became necessary after President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam on February 6th by order of the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) led cabinet had dissolved the House of Commons.
The legislative period was actually not supposed to end until October 2004. But BJP Prime Minister A.B. Vajpayee had hoped, against the background of the favorable economic data and the resumption of the dialogue with Pakistan, to be able to repeat the successes in the state elections of December 2003 at the national level.
220 parties and 5,435 candidates competed for the 543 Lok Sabha seats and the favor of the voters.
On May 13, the election commission announced the surprising result. The ruling National Democratic Alliance suffered a bitter defeat against all expectations and prognoses. The ones from Congress (I) led coalition won by a clear margin. Sonia Gandhi had the approval of all party members and coalition partners to take over the office of prime minister. But a little later she explained to a surprised public and the shocked members of her party that she was out of the question for the office. Her "inner voice" advised her against it, she said on the record.
On May 18, Ms. Gandhi beat the economist Dr. Manmohan Singh for the post of Prime Minister. A day later, President Kalam commissioned Singh to form the cabinet.
The Suedasien.Info editors hope you enjoy reading this
- The 14th Lok Sabha: 38 parties and four independents
- Won seats by member state
- Votes won by Union states
India has voted: Surprising change of power in Delhi
Portraits of the election winners
Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Orissa, Sikkim
India Shining? 2004 election campaign
Reports and interviews
Review: State elections December 2003
- Bigger tires last longer
- What is trypsinization
- What have smartphones made obsolete?
- Would survive a job without currencies
- What is the difference between arithmetic and math
- Better to name Saul overlapping Breaking Bad
- Sadguru is a scam
- How to earn a second income
- What is an empirical work
- We use image recognition AIs to use filters
- What are wood components
- Women's eyelashes thin as they age
- Why are Muni predictions so bad
- What is 12 12 12
- Why did you believe in ghost demons?
- How powerful was the Spanish army in 1945
- What are some startup ideas in the agribusiness
- Why do lumberjacks wear padded shirts?
- Which myths about Pakistan disturb you
- How has India improved in badminton lately
- What are the functions of literature
- What is a blunt isosceles
- Why didn't he invite me?
- Which Pokemon does Bastiodon develop into
- What are the scary things in Jamaica
- How accurate are Google consumer surveys
- How are computers used in design
- All sponges have a canal system
- What are some surprising mosquito repellants
- Every Yu Yuphoria phone has Cynogenmod
- How similar is Amharic to Arabic?
- What is a test pressing
- Why is boron a good refractory material
- Which POS systems are integrated with Brightpearl