How do sea birds eat crustaceans
Why seabirds like plastic
Around eight million tons of plastic end up in the world's oceans every year. Last but not least, seabirds that eat the plastic suffer from this. US researchers have now found out why they are doing this.
Plastic in the ocean smells similar to some types of plant-based plankton - tiny little algae; they give off the smell of dimethyl sulfide (DMS) - you can imagine it like cooked vegetables or cooked seafood.
For seabirds such as albatrosses, tube noses or shearwaters, DMS means: food scent! Because their food is crustaceans and small fish: These eat plankton and therefore live exactly where a lot of plankton thrives. If plastic swims in salt water for a long time, the same algae form - including the smell, as a study by a team led by the biologist Gabrielle Nevitte from the University of California, Davis has shown. This is devastating because birds find it difficult or impossible to digest plastic, and in the worst case they perish.
Blue petrel over the sea
Hope: Use other plastic
To prove that plastic can be an odor trap for birds, the US study evaluated, among other things, the data on the stomach contents of 13,500 seabirds. Those birds that are guided by the DMS odor when searching for food are six times more likely to eat plastic than other animals.
Chemical analyzes showed that some types of plastic take less than a month to develop the odor that is attractive to seabirds. The researchers hope that if it is not possible to discharge less plastic into the oceans, then industry could at least use plastics that are not so easily overgrown by algae.
More on the topic:
- How would you define a hard time
- What are some fun facts about axolotls
- Have meteorite crystals
- Is Ino or Hinata stronger
- How are Kinder Surprise eggs made
- Which Kindle to buy for reading books
- How satellites identify different plant species
- What are the side effects of Subutex
- Why are bubbles observed under the car door
- How dogs hear human voices
- Which is the largest plant organall
- What is PMMA plastic
- Which is the best sports film
- Will Birmingham get an NHL team?
- AFC Ajax is the new AS Monaco
- What is the best salt for pickling
- What is the most widely used blogger template
- When was the camera flash invented?
- Why is multitasking bad
- Can recruit power supplies from campus
- Do hamsters know who owns there
- Are you a graphic designer
- Does the time exist outside the timelines
- How are Live Score websites updated instantly