What are resistance and resistance?
Fixed resistor / fixed resistors
Fixed resistors get their name from their fixed resistance value, which is not adjustable. The resistance value has the unit Ω (ohm) and the symbol R for resistor. Fixed resistors differ in their design. There are film resistors and wirewound resistors.
Fixed resistors are not available with every resistance value. They are subject to an international color code with four-fold or five-fold rings. The rings allow the determination of the resistance value in Ω. They are manufactured exclusively in accordance with the internationally valid IEC series of standards. If you still want a certain resistance value, then an adjustable resistor must be used.
Fixed resistors are linear resistances. Linear resistances are also called ohmic resistances. They have a linear I-U characteristic. Current and voltage are proportional to each other. This means that when the voltage increases, the current also increases. If the current increases, so does the voltage drop across the resistor. Ohm's law applies to the calculation.
The resistance values of fixed resistors and adjustable resistors are given for a temperature of 20 ° C. The change in resistance with a change in temperature is only very small, so that an almost constant resistance value can be assumed.
The value of resistors with metal layers increases with increasing temperature. In the case of coal layers, the value decreases.
Like all other electronic components, resistors are subject to a certain manufacturing tolerance. A resistor marked 100 ohms may only be 99 ohms or 101 ohms. Depending on the resistor type, this is still within the tolerance.
The tolerances range from 0.1 to 10%. Depending on the application, you have to pay more or less attention to the tolerance.
In the case of film resistors, a thin layer of carbon, metal or metal oxide is sprayed or vaporized (in a vacuum) onto cylindrical ceramic or hard glass.
The resistance value (tolerance up to 5%) is determined by the layer thickness and the spray time. Resistance values with a lower tolerance are produced by grinding in the layers. However, these lead to a higher inductance of the resistor.
Film resistors differ between two types of design and material. Carbon film resistors are particularly suitable in the HF range. Metal film resistors combine the properties of wire and carbon film resistors. These resistors have a low tolerance.
Wirewound resistors consist of a temperature-resistant ceramic or plastic body on which a wire made of a metal alloy is wound. The wire winding creates a relatively high inductance. The reason lies in the similar design of a coil. A bifilar winding is used to reduce the inductance. The resistor carrier is wound twice. The windings lying next to one another are then traversed in opposite directions by the current. The resulting magnetic fields cancel each other out. They reach a great age without loss of resistance, are very resilient and are suitable up to a frequency of 200 kHz.
Other related topics:
The electronics company's original equipment
What every electronics technician needs: An electronics range with over 1,300 electronic components so that you have everything you need for every application.
- 30 different resistance values (600 pieces in total)
- 30 different ceramic capacitors (300 pieces in total)
- 12 different electrolytic capacitors (120 pieces in total)
- 8 different diodes (100 pieces in total)
- 17 different transistors (170 pieces in total)
- 5 different LEDs in size 3 mm and 5 mm in the colors 5 colors red, green, blue, yellow and white (200 pieces in total)
Order electronics assortment now
Electronics simple and easy to understand
The electronics primer is a book about the basics of electronics, components, circuit technology and digital technology.
I want that!
- What are the benefits of volatility
- How did FiveThirtyEight get its name
- What do the people of Bengaluru usually eat
- What is the function of SCADA
- Intermittent fasting is anti-aging
- Why do human auras have color
- Is Android really an open source project?
- Why is why a word why
- Why does sound move faster than cement
- Properly neuter my cat
- What if the SCP Foundation existed?
- What does personal disability insurance do
- Vacuum-sealed meat needs to be refrigerated
- Who controls Quora 1
- What does PIL do in Python
- Which is the best space heater
- Pentecostals are all the same
- Do the Americans enjoy visiting Russia
- What is the oxidation number of H2S
- What's the best Hollywood-loving movie
- Why New Orleans Is Going Down
- What are the file formats for videos
- Why should we care about our nation?
- What are barges that they invented
- Where can I sell FIFA coins?
- What does exoskeleton
- How do you use divergent thinking
- What is parliamentary diplomacy
- Keeps sun protection all day
- Do you like Taylor Swift's new hairstyle
- Which means as soon as possible
- Difference between multiple alleles and a deadly gene.
- Is the vagina sweet?
- Why don't ships sink?