Is 100 juice healthy
Orange juice: not-from-concentrate juice is often no better than concentrate
Not-from-concentrate - that sounds like a natural product, fresh from the tree straight into the bottle. When it comes to juice made from concentrate, some consumers are skeptical: They suspect that sugar or additives are added. In fact, the difference between not-from-concentrate juice and juice from concentrate is usually small. As soon as the term "fruit juice" appears on the label, a fruit content of 100 percent is mandatory. Preservatives and coloring agents must not be added. Added vitamins must be labeled. No vitamin additives are allowed in organic juices.
This is how fruit juice is made
In the production of Fruit juice from concentrate the freshly squeezed juice is heated. Because the water evaporates, the volume is significantly reduced. The concentrate remains - a sticky, sweet and sour mass. The fruit flavor is not included. The aroma is isolated by distillation. It is a clear liquid that tastes strongly of fruit. Before the juice is bottled, the concentrate, aroma and water are put back together. In Germany, tart orange juice is particularly popular, which is why many manufacturers omit the sweeter flavors.
Not-from-concentrate is also heated so that it has a long shelf life - it is pasteurized. Since 2013, manufacturers have been able to rearomatise the juice, i.e. add natural fruit aromas, without having to state this on the label.
Juice from concentrate is cheaper to produce
For manufacturers, juice made from concentrate has many advantages. Shipping costs are lower if only the concentrate and flavor are shipped, but not the water. This pays off on long journeys, for example when importing juice from Brazil. Manufacturers can save storage costs with juice made from local fruits.
Consumers pay higher prices for not-from-concentrate juice
Still, it seems worthwhile to make not-from-concentrate juice. Many consumers consider it a particularly high-quality juice. The Association of the Fruit Juice Industry writes on its website: "In recent years, not-from-concentrate juice has steadily increased in consumer favor. People are also prepared to pay the usually higher price."
Not-from-concentrate juice isn't any healthier
According to experts, not-from-concentrate juice is no healthier than juice made from concentrate. It is true that an apple contains phytochemicals that are believed to have a preventive effect against cancer. But when the fruit is pressed, a large part of the secondary plant substances remains in the pressed residue, the pomace. Naturally cloudy and clear apple juice are of different health. Because when the juice is clarified, another part of the healthy ingredients is lost. Compared to the original apple, clear apple juice only contains around ten percent of the healthy ingredients.
Fruit juice, nectar and fruit juice drink
In the case of beverages made from fruit, the manufacturers must clearly indicate the type of beverage on the label:
- Unlike fruit juice, it consists nectar only half made of orange juice, the rest is water and sugar.
- Fruit juice drinks contain mainly water, sugar and flavorings, the fruit content is at least six percent.
Squeeze orange juice yourself
If you want to enjoy the full orange aroma without additives, you can squeeze juice from fresh fruits yourself. It is advisable to wash the fruit beforehand and dry it well. Because oranges are usually treated externally with chemical agents against mold - the substances can get into the juice when pressed. The peel of organic fruit is untreated.
How healthy are expensive fruit juices?
Expensive fruit juices made from cranberry, pomegranate and aronia berry are considered healthy. What's in the juices? And what cheaper alternatives are there? more
This topic in the program:
Market | 02/24/2020 | 8:15 pm
- Why do students research in linguistics
- What is a black ethnicity
- How can a person be psychologically disturbed
- Which factors influence the ability to concentrate?
- What agreements do directors have to sign?
- Which email would a seller reply to?
- How does TCP control fragmentation
- Who is considered local in Hawaii
- Why do young people drive badly?
- In Naruto, what happened to Captain Yamato
- What can I do to get an early sleep?
- Investing in Bitcoin is safe
- Why is Bob Dylan mumbling
- How does a walnut tree grow
- How to write a fluent conversation
- Why do some strategic management plans fail?
- What are the studio headphones under 100
- What does bossa mean in Portuguese
- How do you choose who to hire?
- Why do people just want happiness
- What are the best trekking spots near Pune
- What were the Beaver Wars
- The 2017 Catalan independence referendum is unconstitutional
- Why are illustrations important in UX design