Mormons really do wear special underwear
Garments and ceremonial clothing
Learn about ceremonial clothing
For centuries, followers of different faiths have shown their devotion to God by putting on certain pieces of clothing. Sacred robes come in many forms and in many cultures and religions - for example the religious dress of a nun, the gown of a priest, the prayer shawl of the Jews, the cap of the Muslims or the cloak of the Buddhist monks. The godly Mormons also have holy robes, namely the garment and the ceremonial clothing, which are only worn in the temples of the Church of Jesus Christ.
What is a garment?
The garment is worn by adult members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who have made sacred vows in a temple to remain faithful to the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is white, cut similarly to normal two-piece underwear and is worn under other clothing.
Members of the Church of Jesus Christ who wear the garment feel a tangible reminder of the spiritual commitments they have made. For them, the garment is "a reminder of the sacred covenants they made with the Lord in His holy house, a protective cover for the body and a symbol of the decent dress and way of life that should be the hallmark of every humble follower of Christ" (Carlos E. Asay, "The Temple Garment: 'An Outward Expression of an Inward Commitment'", Ensign, August 1997, page 20). Members of the Church of Jesus Christ therefore find it offensive when someone makes fun of their sacred clothing.
The temple clothing consists of simple robes, the religious symbolism of which is linked to the traditions of the priests in ancient times.
What is temple clothing?
Temple garments, unlike garments that loyal members wear around the clock, are worn solely in the temples of Latter-day Saints. Also known as the robe of the holy priesthood, these clothes are used only for most ordinances.
The white color stands for purity. There is no badge of rank on temple clothing: men and women wear similar garments, and even those who have recently been members wear the same clothing as the most senior leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ. The temple clothing consists of simple robes, the religious symbolism of which ties in with the traditions of priests in ancient times, which are reported in the Old Testament (see Exodus 35: 19–21; 40:13).
How can I find out more?
For Latter-day Saints, the temple is one of the most sacred places on earth. It is the house of the Lord - a place of peace, refuge and learning. To learn more about Latter-day Saint temples and Mormon beliefs, visit mormon.org.
This summary is based largely on the Temple Garments article on the Mormon Newsroom website. Read this article for more information about the garments that are sacred to Latter-day Saints.
- What is 12 TMC to Cubic Meters
- Are all metal oxides and hydroxide bases
- Robinhood is a good investment app
- Why is crystal anisotropic
- What are your favorite restaurants in Delhi
- Which Avengers will survive the Avenger Infinity War
- What is the root of all languages
- Is the universe really not deterministic
- What is PCIe on a motherboard
- How to say none in Polish
- Which river in Russia begins with H.
- How many living things have ever existed
- What are LinkedIn Marketing Solutions
- How do I get SEO links
- What gives people free will
- What does Pang Wangle mean
- Why do nanomaterials have different properties?
- Do antipsychotics permanently damage dopamine receptors
- The republican socialist is an oxymoron
- How is KIIT for BTech
- What is the Mig 31
- Have squirrel territory
- What is a vegan who eats fish
- How do religious colleges teach evolution