Which certifications are good for freshmen

Checklist for freshmen

When you enroll, you will receive a "JMU-Account" for the computer center, which will give you access to the university's information processing systems (WueStudy, WueCampus, student email address). In order to be able to use the account, it must be activated. You can find information about this on this information page of the data center.

Please note that the student e-mail account should be checked regularly (if necessary by setting up a forwarding to your primary e-mail address), as the university sends important study-related information to this address.

Before you can use your new student ID (e.g. as a semester ticket), you must validate the card. Only then is the card valid. You can find information on this on this information page.

Please note that the semester ticket can only be used at the beginning of the semester, i.e. from October 1st in the winter semester and from April 1st in the summer semester.

Do not forget that the validation has to be carried out anew for each semester.

Some offices (health insurance, child benefit office, office for educational support, etc.) will require you to provide a certificate of enrollment. You should also document the course of your studies in the form of master data sheets. These certificates are no longer sent by post from the university, but can be printed out by the students themselves via WueStudy.

Information can be found here.

The application is made via the website of the Studentenwerk Würzburg.

"Main residence for students" campaign by the city of Würzburg:

Students who want their Main residence in Würzburgregister, collect cash in Würzburg! And you benefit from many perks:

For some subjects you have to attend a preliminary course before starting your studies. These serve to refresh your Abitur knowledge or as an intensive course for a language. You can find out whether preliminary courses or internships are required for your subject in the online course directory under Introductory events at the beginning of your studies or on the website of the respective subject.

In some subjects there are also voluntary preliminary courses. You can use this to refresh your school knowledge and to get to know future fellow students before you start your studies.

A course plan is an exemplary timetable that was created by the lecturers in the field of study. If you stick to the curriculum, you should complete your studies exactly in the standard period of study. In the first semester in particular, it is a good idea to stick to the recommendations in the curriculum as closely as possible. But it is not an obligation! Due to registration deadlines, it is advisable to create the timetable before the introductory event. If you have problems with the timetable, the Central Student Advisory Service can help you.

In the course catalog you will find the times and rooms of all lectures that are to be attended. You can find out which lectures you have to attend in your course plan (s) or the study regulations (subject-specific provisions of the subject). Please note the registration deadlines for the respective courses. These may have passed before the introductory event took place.

For most courses there are introductory events in the first week of lectures (sometimes even a few days beforehand). Some are offered by the university, others by students in higher semesters. In the introductory events you will find out what is important at the beginning of your studies, i.e. which events are recommended for the first semester, where you can register, etc. You can find the dates for the introductory events in the online course directory under "Introductory events at the beginning of your studies".
The Central Student Advisory Service also offers the lecture "First Steps into Studies" for freshmen of all subjects with general and interdisciplinary information.

Some courses start with a placement test. The placement test is used to assign you to a course that corresponds to your performance. The result of the placement test will tell you which courses you can attend. If you do noticeably poorly here, you will be asked to reconsider your choice of study. However, you will not lose your place at the university.

Each course is regulated in detail by study and examination regulations. At the beginning of your studies and if anything is unclear about the course of your studies, refer to the regulations applicable to your degree program. In this way you gain clarity, for example, about which modules are exactly mandatory, which options you have in the elective area, how the overall grade is formed, etc.

The relevant texts for bachelor, master and teacher training courses are the so-called subject-specific provisions (FSB), which you can find on the website of the examination office. (If you find several versions: the latest version is important for new students)