Female players play great strategy games
Study: Girls play a lot, but hardly any online
The stereotypes of lonely male computer gamers have long since become obsolete. A study by the Pew Research Center on the media consumption of American teenagers has shown that women are also increasingly consuming video games. According to this, 59 percent of the female respondents between 13 and 17 years of age use digital games on PCs, consoles or mobile devices. For boys it is 84 percent.
However, there are still major differences in online activities. While 34 percent of the boys state that they also gamble online with friends every day, only 8 percent of the girls do so. According to this, 47 percent of women never play their games online.
The usage habits also differ among online users. Voice chat functions in games are requested by 28 percent of girls, whereas 71 percent of boys use the network to chat.
Online games strengthen a sense of togetherness
The social aspect of digital games seems to play a smaller role for girls. While only a fifth of women say they gamble with friends in the same room daily or weekly, around half of boys do.
Male players also use the medium to make and maintain friendships. 57 percent of boys who said they met friends online, they did so through video games.
According to the study, the feeling of togetherness is also promoted. 84 percent of boys feel more connected with friends they gamble with online. Here, too, the girls are slightly lower at 62 percent.
Influence of gender on preferred forms of play
The results of a German three-year long-term study can be found in Media Perspektiven, which show a similar picture of video game use. According to this, digital games were consumed by around 87 percent of people between the ages of 14 and 17 in 2013.
In 2010, video games were used by 24 percent of people between the ages of 14 and 65 (30 percent of men, 19 for women). Of these, 52 percent of male users said they had gambled online, while 30 percent of women did. Here, too, a significant influence of gender on the preferred forms of play could be demonstrated. (lmp, 8/20/2015)
- Can an entrepreneur fail?
- Is GCC a compiler or an editor
- AG Barr's career is over
- Why should people stop praising themselves?
- What frustrates you most about television today
- Why should you use email clients
- Is there a future for corporate MOOCs
- Where can i get real love
- What is the Armeggedon
- Stress can cause a thyroid storm
- What have smartphones made obsolete?
- Where are some notable eating disorders
- Are Hyundai cars better than Honda
- Is Virat Kohli an Indian
- Serves Uber all Dominican airports
- What are the best modern fiction books
- Which is better GRIET or VNR VJIET
- Where can I learn OCaml
- How can I connect a wireless mouse?
- What causes hemophilia
- Can we evolve to live without sleep?
- What is your UX process
- How many hours do product managers work
- How many eggs can a cat eat
- Where is the best ceviche in Kingston Jamaica
- Is the Jio fiber overdrawn
- Why do barriers to communication arise
- Can Christmas be defended
- Which plants grow in sandy soils
- What is the newest Castlevania game
- Is Taekwondo effective in MMA and UFC
- What are some good hacks for algebra
- Power Ranger is a kids show
- What are some popular snacks in India