Has ccl4 a dipole moment
Which of the following molecules has a dipole moment? CCl4, H2S, CO2, BCl3, Cl2
Just because of the symmetry we know that # H_2S # is the only one of these molecules that has a dipole moment.
In the case of # Cl_2 # If the 2 atoms are identical, no polarization of the bond is possible and the dipole moment is zero.
In any other case except # H_2S #, the polarization of the charge associated with each bond is exactly canceled by the other bonds, resulting in no net dipole moment.
For # CO_2 # every CO bond is polarized (with oxygen taking a partial negative charge and carbon taking a positive charge). However, # CO_2 # is a linear molecule, so the two CO bonds are polarized in the same and opposite directions and exactly equalize each other. Therefore, # CO_2 # has no dipole moment.
For # H_2S # the bonds are both polarized, but # H_2S # is a bent molecule, not linear, so the polarizations do not cancel, and # H_2S # has a net dipole moment.
For # BCl_3 # the geometry is an equilateral triangle of Cl atoms with the boron atom in the center of the triangle. The polarization of the 3 B-Cl bonds is canceled out exactly # BCl_3 # has no dipole moment.
Similarly, the 4-C-Cl bonds in CCl4 are oriented to point to the vertices of a regular tetrahedron, and they cancel each other out exactly so that CCl4 has no dipole moment.
- Juggle a good workout
- What is Gaehnen doing
- Can you decipher the animal name DOHHGGEE
- What dinosaurs are herbivores
- Birth control pills mimic pregnancy
- What is Kadaknath Chicken
- How to download Cengage IIT books
- Could humanity still exist without clouds?
- If my circuit breaker fails
- Why is education in India very commercial
- Uses DuckDuckGo ads
- Are there any paranormal activities taking place in India?
- What if Hitler founded Israel?
- Where is SQLite used extensively?
- What is Bhagwad Gita
- How do I remove Adskeeper manually
- Why does it happen 2
- The sailor enjoys life
- Certifications for technology are common
- In the future genders will exist
- How can I understand German sentences for a long time?
- What is Google's Project Loon
- What scotch is smoky without tasting medicinal
- How can NRIs buy Forex in India?