What is the purpose of the color
Federal Agency for Nature Conservation BfN
In nature, nobody dresses up for fun. The bright colors always have a purpose: They can be camouflage or warning, they serve to preserve the species, to obtain food, to defend or to protect. Most of the time the colors serve different purposes at the same time.
Bright colors are often warning colors. With this, an animal indicates that it poses a danger. Black and yellow wasps sting, the orange and black caterpillars of the swallowtail are poisonous and the red and black fire bugs simply don't taste good. Black and yellow or black and red are typical warning colors for insects. The predators know: watch out, danger lurks here - without the prey really having to defend itself. Thanks to its warning color alone, poisonous or stinging insects are less likely to be eaten.
Warning colors can also be camouflage colors. As the? - If harmless animals wear the same colors as dangerous animals, then they also scare off their predators. You know that from hover flies, which are just as black and yellow striped as wasps, although they are completely harmless. Such a similarity between defenseless and defenseless species is called "mimicry".
Read more about mimicry here.
Other camouflage colors such as brown or green ensure that the animals merge with their surroundings and are therefore difficult to spot for both their enemies and their prey. Grasshoppers, grasshoppers or crickets, for example, come in many shades of brown and green. If they sit motionless on a blade of grass, they can hardly be seen.
Looking for a partner
Birds are masters of the play of colors: In many bird species, the males even throw themselves into shells during the mating season. With a particularly colorful plumage, the "splendid dress", they advertise the females. This is the case with mallards, for example. After mating, the male ducks lose their brightly colored feathers. The females, on the other hand, wear an inconspicuous brown all year round. So they are well camouflaged during the brood and when rearing the chicks.
- Who will win the Pepsi IPL 2015
- Aviral Bhatnagar
- What is the tectonic plate theory
- What is a Tia
- What do you think of cancer
- How do I think scientifically
- Did the United Nations treat Israel fairly
- What is the purpose of the skull deformation
- Should we stop this culture of indignation
- Will Ebola evolve to set off a pandemic?
- Is GCC a compiler or an editor
- What makes you sad the most
- Is Israel a Jew
- Who really is Almighty God?
- How will Eskimos make cremation
- Which sweet potatoes are used for cakes?
- What is AccuWeather
- Why did Google Play redesign its shop
- Is the Happy Birthday song still copyrighted
- Becomes a top student challenging
- What is a component in React Native
- How much dust is too much
- How to pronounce mon dieu
- What 3D printing companies print thermochromically