Where do medical students usually stay

Student health insurance: the main options

Students who are enrolled at state or state-recognized universities in Germany are generally required to have health insurance. This regulation also applies to matriculation for a postgraduate or extension course or during a semester abroad or a semester on leave. However, students who start doctoral studies after completing a university degree are not covered by the student's compulsory insurance.

Student health insurance options

According to the old legal situation, the student's compulsory insurance lasted until the end of the 14th semester, at the latest until the end of the semester in which the person turns 30. Since 2020, the number of semesters no longer matters. The student health insurance is thus retained regardless of the number of semesters completed as long as the 30th year of life has not yet been reached. In exceptional cases, the student health insurance can extend beyond the age of 30. In addition to personal reasons, the reason for an extension may be that certain access qualifications had to be acquired in order to start studying.
The contribution is calculated based on the BAföG requirement rates and amounts to 76.85 euros per month. However, the health insurance companies also have the option of charging individual, income-dependent additional contributions. If the health insurance company charges an additional contribution for each individual health insurance company, it also applies to students, interns and technical school students. The members have the right to special termination if funds raise or increase additional contributions.

The student contribution to long-term care insurance is 22.94 euros. Childless students aged 23 and over must pay a contribution of EUR 24.82.

The private health insurances offer students not only normal rates but also policies with special training conditions.

The family insurance

Up to the age of 25, students can have family insurance with their parents' statutory health insurance scheme free of charge. This period is extended by the duration of a voluntary military service, a recognized voluntary service (e.g. federal voluntary service) or an activity as a development worker, but no longer than 12 months.

If one parent of the student is legally insured, the other is privately insured and they are married, the parents' income must also be checked for the child's family insurance.

A contribution-free co-insurance is also possible through the spouse (or life partner within the meaning of the Life Partnership Act), provided that the basic requirements of family insurance are met. There is no age limit for this.

In order not to lose the right to family insurance, the regular monthly total income of the student must not exceed 470 euros (2021).

Voluntary insurance

If the low-contribution compulsory insurance ends, for example because of the age limit, students can voluntarily take out statutory health insurance. The contribution is then based on income. The assessment of contributions is uniformly regulated in the principles of the National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Funds - we have summarized the regulations in a table.

Jobs and insurance

Anyone who earns money in addition to their studies "has to spend most of their time and manpower during their studies" in order to maintain their affordable student insurance. More than marginal employment of the student is considered to be exempt from insurance if the weekly working time during the lecture period does not exceed 20 hours.


Lars is 26 years old and a student. He is insured in the student compulsory insurance.

To finance his studies, Lars would like to work regularly for 18 hours in a café after the lectures. He wonders whether he can still be insured with the affordable student compulsory insurance.

Since Lars won't work more than 20 hours a week during the lecture period, that's not a problem. He remains in the compulsory student insurance and does not have to pay any further contributions.

Note: In the case of employment in the evening or night, on the weekend or during the lecture-free period (semester break), there is normally no insurance coverage in the health insurance even if the weekly working time is exceeded by 20 hours. However, the exemption from insurance is excluded if the employment with more than 20 hours per week is unlimited in time or limited to a period of more than 26 weeks.

The choice of student health insurance

For compulsory student insurance or voluntary insurance with a statutory health insurance company, you can choose from: AOK, substitute funds, miners' union, company and guild funds of the place of residence or study. The health insurance fund must be selected no later than two weeks after the start of compulsory health insurance. Family insured persons do not have their own right to choose; the decision of the member of the fund applies to them. In principle, there is a free choice with private health insurers. Because of the tariff differences, it is worthwhile to obtain and compare several offers.

Private insurance

Anyone who has private health insurance and becomes compulsory through their studies can apply for "exemption" and remain insured with private health insurance. The application for exemption must be submitted within three months of the start of compulsory insurance. The exemption usually applies to the entire course of study and cannot be revoked during this period. Statutory insurance is therefore usually only possible after the end of your studies, for example by taking up employment that is subject to compulsory insurance.

Applicants / freshmen

Applicants must provide proof of their insurance status to their university for the purpose of enrollment. For this purpose, prospective students ask the health insurance company to report proof of the insurance status directly to the university using the electronic procedure. In the event that the university does not yet take part in the electronic registration process, the health insurance company will issue student applicants with a certificate of insurance that can then be presented to the university.

In principle, the health insurance company with which prospective students are or will be insured at the start of their studies is responsible for issuing the insurance certificate or submitting the report on the insurance status in the electronic process. For those who are exempt from compulsory insurance, the health insurance company that carried out the exemption is responsible.

Important arithmetic values ​​in social insurance

The following overview shows important arithmetic values ​​in social insurance (Status: March 2021).

Statutory health insurance

General contribution rate14,60 %
Employer's contribution rate7,30 %
Contribution rate employee share7,30 %
Additional contribution rate
(to be borne proportionally or only by the member, depending on the group of people)
Contribution rate for students, etc.10,22 %*
Relevant BAföG requirement rate for the health insurance of students752.00 EUR / monthly


Social long-term care insurance

Contribution rate **3,05 %
Contribution rate for childless members from the age of 23 ***3,30 %


Statutory pension insurance

Contribution rate18,60 %18,60 %

unemployment insurance

Contribution rate2,40 %2,40 %


* plus additional contribution for the individual health insurance fund; The assessment basis is the respectively applicable maximum BAföG rate for students who do not live with their parents.
Different contribution rates apply to voluntarily insured students. In these cases, find out more from your health insurance company.

** Employer and employee share the amount, different regulation in Saxony; The assessment basis for students is the currently applicable maximum BAföG rate for students who do not live with their parents.

*** does not apply to persons born before 1940, to military and community service or to recipients of unemployment benefit II.

This content was created by the consumer centers in Bavaria and North Rhine-Westphalia for the network of consumer centers in Germany.