Vitamin Deficiency Can Make You Fat
Vitamins are divided into fat and water-soluble groups. They differ in how they are absorbed, transported, stored and excreted in the body. Unlike water-soluble vitamins, the body can store fat-soluble vitamins.
Which vitamins are fat soluble?
The fat-soluble vitamins include:
+++ More on the topic: Water-soluble vitamins +++
The intake of fat-soluble vitamins
Fat-soluble vitamins are absorbed by the intestine along with fats. The intake of these vitamins can therefore also be increased with the simultaneous intake of fat through food.
Low-fat diet and disorders of fat digestion and absorption, on the other hand, mean that smaller amounts of fat-soluble vitamins get into the organism.
+++ There are many vitamin-rich recipe ideas here +++
Storage of fat-soluble vitamins
The body can store fat-soluble vitamins in large quantities in various places. Important vitamin stores are, for example, the liver and adipose tissue (depot fat). Due to the ability to store, a continuous supply is not necessary. However, this can lead to an overdose of fat-soluble vitamins in the event of excessive administration in the form of supplements.
Hypervitaminosis: vitamin overdose
They can then have a toxic effect and the clinical picture of a so-called hypervitaminosis develops. Depending on which vitamin was overdosed, different symptoms can occur, such as:
Vitamin K is an exception in this regard. It has only a very low toxicity and is only stored in small amounts by the body - hypervitaminoses rarely occur.
+++ More on the topic: Vitamin deficiency +++
Function and elimination
The main function of fat-soluble vitamins is to stimulate the production of certain proteins. For example, the body needs vitamin K in order to be able to form certain coagulation factors.
Fat-soluble vitamins are excreted through the intestines.
+++ Test your knowledge in the vitamin & mineral quiz +++
Stay informed with the newsletter from netdoktor.at
Dr. med. Kerstin Lehermayr
Helga Quirgst, MSc
Horton HR et al .: Biochemistry. Pearson Studies, 2008.
Elmadfa I: Nutrition. UTB, Stuttgart 2004.
Elmadfa I and Leitzmann C: Human nutrition. UTB, Stuttgart 2004.
More articles on the topic
All information about vitamin D: where to find it, what role it plays in bone structure and why it needs sunlight.
9 facts about vitamin D
Again and again there is a discussion about whether vitamin D supplements should be taken. Read more on the subject here.
- How did rap music affect your teen
- What do we need weapons for?
- Indian web hosting services are reliable
- Which IMU campus is the best
- What is the need for theoretical oxygen
- What exercise makes my stomach strong
- What is the core of NetSuite development
- What is pushover analysis
- Ravan was a hero
- Who was Deva and Asura Architect about?
- How are the console games developed
- What are the criticisms of the higher criticism
- What is outpatient psychiatry
- Can I do automotive engineering after college?
- What is an Ashx file format
- Bernie Sanders owns 3 houses
- Who was the first Manipuri king
- How can I breed goldfish
- Can antibiotics cause a yeast infection?
- Who is the hottest NFL cheerleader
- Any good advice on fishing in Michigan
- What is Bet360 com
- Gametutorials is a good site
- What is the chemical name of hydrogen