Can you live without beta amyloid
Robert Moir developed a radical Alzheimer's theory, now he has passed away
Among the common diseases, Alzheimer's is particularly complicated. Decades of research have failed to produce an effective therapy, one by one the experimental drugs fail. Is it because the disease is fundamentally misunderstood?
The common opinion is that the body's own protein product, beta-amyloid, causes nerve cells to die. The dogma was and is therefore: If you can get rid of beta-amyloid, you can prevent Alzheimer's.
Robert Moir saw it differently. Gradually, he began to provide evidence that beta-amyloid has a function - to fight off infections in the brain. It is not the substance itself that is the immediate problem in Alzheimer's disease, but the infection.
Now Moir has passed away at the age of 58, as science journalist Sharon Begley writes in an obituary. A year ago, the journalist wrote the portrait of Moir recommended here, which has contributed significantly to the public awareness of his theories. In it, she describes very impressively the researcher's struggle for recognition in a field that does not tolerate outsiders and their ideas.
Moir hardly gets any money for his research, but he worked intensively on his theory for years. In recent years he has finally achieved successes that have at least been recognized by some Alzheimer's researchers. He recently received a major funding application. His group wants to continue his work.
- What is the IELTS test format
- What are the branches of aeronautical engineering
- How do you mobilize your company
- Who will be the next Australian captain?
- Who founded the Democratic Party?
- Buy DLC for games
- Is it weird to hate, to be praised?
- Is it ethical to pirate educational media?
- How do you turn off Sphero
- How light sticks shine
- Which IIM offer correspondence MBA
- What are some good hacks for algebra
- Behave unhealthy INFP types like INTJ
- Who introduced Chauth and Sardeshmukhi
- Are there vegan restaurants in Montreal
- What is the French word for unemployed
- Play golf tournaments for charity to make money
- How do porn sites generate revenue
- Can you eat too much iodine
- Which doctor should I consult about eosinophilia?
- Websites need constant maintenance
- How to interview a UX designer
- What was the political teaching of Christ
- What is the difference between rootkits and bootkits