How does hummus taste
Hummus: 4 reasons to eat the chickpea dip more often
Hummus is much more than just a dip: the oriental porridge made from chickpeas, olive oil, tahini (sesame paste), lemon juice, garlic and cumin is a way of life. It's about the love of food and the desire for healthy and natural foods.
>>> That's why you should eat more legumes
Hummus is also the best proof that good food doesn't have to be expensive or time-consuming. Just put a bowl of hummus on the table and combine it with fresh flatbread, olives and vegetables of your choice. The dip, which is considered a national dish in Lebanon and Syria, among others, is also eaten with other "mezze". Mezze are small snacks or starters that are typical of the Middle East, such as baba ghanoush (eggplant puree) or taboule (bulgur / couscous salad).
4 reasons to eat more hummus
If you've never tried hummus, these 4 unbeatable reasons might convince you to give the chickpea mash a try.
1. Hummus is healthy
Chickpeas form the hummus base - and that's a good thing: Because chickpeas are not only really tasty, they are also very healthy. Therefore, hummus provides lots of good, complex carbohydrates (15 grams per 100 grams) that fill you up and provide us with long-term energy. Another plus: Hummus is an excellent source of protein. It contains 9 grams of protein and many healthy unsaturated fatty acids per 100 grams (7 grams per 100 grams).
>>> The 20 best protein suppliers
2. Hummus is the perfect dip and spread
Hummus is a real all-round talent in the kitchen and is a real competition for cream cheese, ready-made dips and delicatessen salads. Instead of smearing a greasy egg salad with mayo or a high-calorie double-cream cheese on bread, the next time you just have homemade hummus. Vegetable sticks also go well with the delicious vegan dip.
3. Hummus is easy to make yourself
Sure, you can also just buy a pack of hummus in the supermarket, but it is not uncommon to find unwanted additives in it, such as flavorings or preservatives. The consistency is usually too thick and cannot be compared with the original. It's much healthier to make hummus yourself - and it's really easy. You can find the basic recipe below in the article.
>>> You need these vitamins and minerals to build muscle
4. You can also cook with hummus
Hummus not only tastes good as a cold dip with raw vegetables or on bread, but can also be integrated into warm dishes. How about a hummus-based pasta sauce, for example? Simply sweat a few onion cubes and vegetables of your choice in a little oil, add 2 tablespoons of hummus and a little of the pasta water and you're done!
One hummus recipe - endless hummus variations
One of the advantages of hummus just mentioned is the uncomplicated and quick preparation of the chickpea dip. You only need a few ingredients and no cooking skills whatsoever - the best prerequisites for the recipe to succeed (and taste good) in the end.
>>> You have to try these 10 chickpea recipes
Another advantage: You can modify the classic basic hummus recipe to suit your taste and thus create new variations over and over again. Simply enrich the dip with additional ingredients, for example herbs, beetroot and eggplant. Don't worry: the chickpea mash can't really be "messed up". Let your creativity flow.
Basic recipe for hummus
Ingredients for 4 large servings / around 10 dip servings
- 500 g chickpeas (can)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 lemon, just the juice
- 150 ml of water
- 150 to 200 g tahini (sesame paste)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Drain the chickpeas. If you use dried chickpeas, you have to let them soak overnight and then cook them. Since the chickpeas swell when cooked, you only need 250 grams of dried chickpeas.
- Put the chickpeas in a blender and puree them together with the garlic, lemon juice and the water (add gradually). Now add the sesame paste and mix again on the highest level.
- Season to taste with cumin, salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. If you like, you can extend the topping and decorate the dip with parsley and coriander, chilli flakes or pomegranate seeds.
>>> Peanut Butter Spinach Hummus
By the way: Classically, olive oil does not go into the hummus, but only as a topping on top, even if many recipes on the Internet contain (plentiful) olive oil. But this does not correspond to the original recipe. The sesame paste ensures the creaminess, not the olive oil.
5 delicious hummus creations
Anyone who likes experiments in the kitchen can change the original hummus recipe with just a few simple steps, or with the ingredients. Here are a few ideas:
- Avocado Hummus: Simply add 1-2 avocados to the basic recipe.
- Edamame hummus: Replace the chickpeas with edamame (green soybeans), mix with 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil and the remaining ingredients (tahini and Co.).
- Beetroot Hummus: Dice fresh beetroot and roast in the oven at 200 ° C for around 30 minutes. Then add to the other hummus ingredients in the blender.
- Wild garlic or spinach hummus: Simply add a handful of fresh wild garlic or spinach leaves to the basic recipe, done!
- Tomato and basil hummus: Add a few dried tomatoes in oil (10 pieces) and ½ bunch of fresh basil to the basic recipe.
>>> Recipe idea: falafel wrap with hummus
Whether as a dip, spread or pasta sauce: hummus always tastes good. The chickpea mash is also healthy and contains plenty of protein. First start with the basic recipe and then create your very own hummus recipe.
- Are peanuts good
- How do I create a dashboard
- The Khalistan Movement is regaining strength
- Medical schools prefer attractive people
- What is a canon problem
- Where can I find prohibited commercials
- Which TV series do UPSC aspirants watch?
- What are the types of bonsai trees
- Animals know they were the dominant species
- How did Quora help someone you know
- Can you decipher the word Cupdeor?
- How ruthless are successful business people
- An indentation in the word processor is required
- Intermittent fasting is anti-aging
- How do you know about yourself
- What is a portrait
- How can I bookmark my website
- How many Koreans are there in Uzbekistan
- How to draw female body proportions
- What is 3 sqrt 16
- How do the unemployed stay happy?
- Who made the post
- Christian proselytizing is illegal in Israel
- Is basil an herb or a shrub?