Why MBA after graduation in physics
If today 50 percent of school leavers or more have a high school diploma, that does not mean that the same number can go on to study. Everyone should be allowed to try things out, we can help with a well-designed introductory phase. But we also have to give an early signal if it is not enough.
"A physicist after six semesters is never a physicist", was your statement a few years ago, according to which the specialist knowledge of a bachelor's degree is not enough to pursue a profession. When did you first feel like a physicist?
Certainly not after the intermediate diploma.
However, the Bologna reform with the bachelor's degree should provide a professional qualification after six semesters.
You have to differentiate between subjects. In engineering and technical professions, you can't do much with a bachelor's degree from university, and there is hardly any job market. But many humanities scholars already find a career entry point with a bachelor's degree. And from universities of applied sciences that impart science in a practical way, a lot of bachelor's degrees from technical courses also go straight to work.
What is your advice to a physics bachelor?
What if his bachelor's grades are not enough for admission to the master’s degree?
At least in the natural sciences and technical subjects at universities, but also, for example, with student teachers, every bachelor should have the opportunity to do his master's degree. Here you need just as many master's as bachelor's places. That does not mean that a thorough study has to be guaranteed. A change of university can be useful and also necessary. When it comes to admission to the master’s degree, I consider it difficult to rely solely on the grade.
Wouldn't it then be wiser that universities of applied sciences only train up to a bachelor's degree and universities generally up to a master’s degree?
Such an Americanized system - the colleges prepare, then the universities take over - makes little sense. Our university landscape is too diverse for that. Some universities of applied sciences try to distinguish themselves through strong research achievements and do it quite well. Conversely, there are universities that focus heavily on good, innovative teaching. The fact that the boundaries are fluid makes us strong. The world looks at our system, we are in a good position.
Keyword world: The data report of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) shows that German students still rarely spend a semester abroad. How do you explain that?
Stays abroad cost money. Support from the DAAD or Erasmus is important, but not always sufficient. Many students are also afraid of losing time. The economy doesn't even want the very young. At universities, it's about education and maturity, that takes time. The economy has now recognized that speed at any price does not help. Only corporations can afford to give unfinished graduates the necessary development time, so to speak. In Germany, however, we make a substantial living from small, medium-sized companies. They can't do that and want people with more life experience. Word of that just hasn't got around to all of the students.
Would a compulsory stay abroad make sense for all students?
Absolutely, but for that you would have to change the Bafög rules, for example. In principle, when we are at the eight-year high school almost everywhere, you can study a little longer. We are getting older and older and we work longer anyway. So why not take more time to study?
University cities in Germany
Also well informed by email: You will find this and other relevant news - summarized by SZ authors in compact form - in the morning and evening in the SZ Espresso newsletter. Order here.
- What's so bad about suburbs
- Is corn a cash crop?
- Does anyone regret choosing BAMS?
- Are people like dogs?
- Delivers Myntra in Dubai
- Cedar is as good as treated wood
- Is Elon Musk charismatic
- Should we be afraid of 5G technology
- Can I buy domain names in installments
- Which engineer seems to be more attractive for girls
- When is the addiction cycle interrupted?
- How do you reverse a natural protocol
- What are good examples of food photography
- What is more effective online or traditional therapy
- Animals usually like people with autism
- Does Khabib Nurmagomedov look Russian for you
- There are many angels
- Why do crystals concentrate energy
- Your favorite R B ballad
- Can I earn by replying to Quora
- Whose music makes you shine
- Idaho's population is growing
- What makes night truck driving safe?
- How does the CTMU define God 1
- Should I remove Dropbox?
- Does anyone find the Punjabi song offensive?
- Which is the ugliest mega-evolution
- Can someone help clarify this dream
- What is a McRefugee
- How do I use a macro lens
- Who was the 26th President of the USA
- Will Suarez win Ballon dOr this year
- How do AWS Application Load Balancers work
- Is it worthless to invest in RRSP?