Should we return the favor
return / return the favor
Who is with a friend reciprocatedwho pays him something in return out of gratitude. What creates confusion, however, is that the word has two meanings. It can also express that we are taking revenge on someone, which perverts the positive meaning, but the French se revancher (revenge) more similar is what the spelling explains.
So is revang not correct, even if the French origin is sometimes a linguistic stumbling block, because after all there are words in French that sound very similar, but with one G to be written. Let us think of shunting. However, this works ranger back, being the origin of the revenge at the verb revencher to look for. This is just with ch written.
Another reason for the incorrect spelling, so revoke, can also be found in English. The English word for vengeance is namely revenge and whoever takes revenge on someone relies on the verb to revenge. Accordingly, our spelling is borrowed from French, which is why revoke is downright wrong.
spreading of revang and retaliate
In connection with the correct spelling of a word, it is sometimes very interesting to take a look at the spread of the spelling error. This allows us to see the extent of the spelling incorrectly and see if it is difficult to spell.
For this we can use a tool from Google: Google Trends. The little helper enables us to compare different spellings in relation to the monthly search frequency in the search engine. So we can see which variant, in this case revang or retaliate, searched more often and is therefore naturally more common. At least in terms of search queries.
Now is interestingthat the correct spelling has the edge after a close head-to-head race, but the wrong spelling is gaining traction and is now almost on a par. The word can therefore be considered difficult to spell because revoke makes up over a third of all search queries.
Incidentally, this ratio is not that rare, even if one could assume that the incorrect spelling would always have to be inferior. In particular, words whose correct spelling cannot really be heard have a rather alarming relationship in terms of distribution: disaster / disaster, Allen key / Allen key, or acquisition / acquisition and Amatur / armature.
Examples with correct spelling
Since difficult words are best internalized and learned when they are kept in mind, we would like to end this post with a few example sentences. Maybe this is how we can manage the erroneous verb revang to banish for good.
Thank you for inviting me. I will on occasionretaliate.
We have toretaliate,after all, we lost 3-0 back then.
- What is a butt cheek
- What is an empty MP3 file
- Has Google entry-level positions in marketing
- Facebook failed us
- How much loss do casinos allow
- What does A 1 mean in math
- Empty yourself is a bad phrase
- Tourists can rent bicycles in Slovenia
- What is cyanide used for in industry?
- How would you describe the Canadian mentality
- Is the earth's crust thickly molten rock
- How do I make water conduct electricity
- What is ecological validity in psychology
- How does 0 decibels sound
- How do I open a cassette
- What are Russians good at
- Has your dog ever attacked you?
- How to calculate 0 0
- Frustrate difficult video games
- What is the future of Sprinklr
- What are some examples of plantae
- Pays Starbucks the minimum wage
- We can learn without emotion
- Zinc nitrate and copper carbonate react