How did the graphics begin

graphic

In contrast to most copper engraving cabinets, the MKG's graphic collection is less about free artistic expression on paper, but primarily about applied graphics - drawings and prints that have a function in everyday life. This ranges from small postage stamps to large posters. The nucleus of the collection are the ornamental engravings. From the late 15th to the 19th centuries, they provided the craftsmen in the province with information on new forms of ornament and the design of stylish objects. In keeping with this tradition, the graphic collection began as a collection of templates for the trade school affiliated with the museum. It soon became independent. Estates were acquired, design drawings were collected, and numerous collectors and designers helped with foundations. The result was a collection of over 250,000 sheets (excluding posters), which, although not completely, is able to depict the great variety of graphic design in a wide range. Different focal points emerged, such as historical event sheets and caricatures, typographical drafts or illustrations for book and magazine titles. There are also special collections of, for example, calendars, menu cards or bookplates. Extensive bequests - such as those of Carl Otto Czeschka (1878-1960), Alfred Mahlau (1894-1967) or Oskar Hermann Werner Hadank (1889-1965) form particular focal points. The sensitivity of paper to light does not allow the permanent exhibition of individual works. To this end, various areas of the graphic collection are always accessible to visitors in changing special exhibitions.