What do autistic people think of SJWs
"Sexist" Google Memo: Author talks about autism and remorse
On a work trip to China, the first lines were typed in a memo that was supposed to keep the IT industry in suspense for weeks in the summer of 2017. James Damore, a developer at Google, argued that Google was taking a wrong approach to diversity. Women have a "higher level of neuroticism," which Damore said could lead to "the low number of women in very stressful jobs." There are certain "psychological characteristics" in women that could explain why there are more male programmers.
Memo was leaked to the media
Damore sent the memo to the IT company's internal diversity department, but got no response. Then he distributed the memo internally, after which it became public. He was released two days later. Damore has spread "harmful prejudices", according to Google. CEO Sundar Pichai said it was "not okay" to "assume that a group of colleagues has certain characteristics that make them less suitable for their jobs."
As a result, heated discussions broke out over the psychological validity of Damore's memo. In short, it can be summarized that Damore refers to scientific studies that actually assign certain character traits more to men or more to women, but in the opinion of many scientists misinterpreted them. One of the sociologists quoted by Damore, Catherine Hakim, says in the Guardian, for example, that her theses were reproduced correctly, but that "trying to link them to professional life is nonsense". Damore allegedly relied too much on biological arguments in his memo.
"Amazing that someone should lose their job"
Cordelia Fine, an Australian professor, says the psychological traits Damore cited are "not set in stone". Damore's memo "put forward dubious theses and ignored research on discrimination," said Fine. At the same time, some of the research Damore cited are in themselves "accurate and not particularly controversial in the research world." Therefore, it is "pretty amazing that someone loses his job if he reproduces parts of the scientific debate," said Fine.
Damore would write the memo "differently"
Damore denies intentionally citing only certain parts of the research. However, he would write the memo "probably differently". For example, he regrets the passage in which he ascribes an increased tendency towards neuroticism to women. The developer has commented extensively in the "Guardian" on the creation of the memo and his experiences afterwards. Damore first spoke about his autism disease. This makes it difficult for him to anticipate the reactions of his fellow human beings to certain statements. "To anticipate controversy, you have to be able to anticipate other people's emotional reactions - I'm not very good at that," said Damore. However, he does not want to be seen as a "victim" or explain his memo per se with his autism.
Idol of the Alt-Right
Damore shows remorse for his behavior after his release. The former Google employee quickly became an idol in the so-called alt-right movement, which advocates sexist theses. Damore took part in roundtables with misogynist and right-wing extremists. The photographer Peter Duke invited Damore to take a new press photo - and handed him the "Goolag" T-shirt that caused another outcry for Damore. "I was very busy and clueless," he now says of this time.
Girlfriend: "naive and wrong"
The technically highly talented developer is now looking for a new job. With his girlfriend - a feminist and data scientist - he spoke out after the memo that surprised her. Her friend was "naive" and spread false theses, she says - but the dismissal by Google is not justified. Damore is now taking legal action against Google's reaction to his memo. (red, 11/17/2017)
- Why didn't the ship sink?
- Why are penises private parts
- Why did Valmiki portray Ravana so badly
- Can consciousness ever be expressed mathematically?
- Which huge European football club is weakened
- Today went as planned for you
- Why should only men propose
- How does recovery come about in psychoanalysis?
- What are the alternatives to the green card
- How can I code a complete website
- What is the most underestimated terrible feeling
- Can I eat Brie on keto?
- How did Martin Dougiamas develop Moodle
- Which DC characters are gay or bisexual
- Will the world end in 10 years
- Why does HCl show no H-bond
- How do I become a book blogger
- What affects political correctness
- How can I get dumb?
- Who was the first Manipuri king
- What is the scope of CS
- Australian media justify Steve Smith
- What does Kaifa Tamam
- Which is the best carrom powder
- How do I become a freelance columnist
- When calculating what does FTP stand for
- Are football stadiums bigger than football stadiums
- Should rats have a wheel
- What is the best policy for the family
- When did the first mass extinction occur?
- Hospitals share information about other patients
- Why should people stop praising themselves?
- How can cirrhosis be treated