Why were there different indigenous tribes
The colonization of America
to the overview KNOWLEDGE
When Christopher Columbus discovered America in 1492, he gave the Indians their name. He believed he had landed in India. When he met the indigenous people, he called them "los indios". More and more settlers from today's Europe followed suit and traveled to America. First there were Spaniards, then there were French, Dutch and English people. They needed food and gave the Indians barter goods for it. A brisk trade began.
The immigrants wanted to buy the land they lived on from the Indians. The North American natives didn't want that. They lived in harmony with nature. It was not in their culture for a person to consider a river, forest, or piece of land as his property.
Therefore, many Indians refused to sign the contracts that the immigrants presented to them. The settlers didn't like that, so they finally forced the Indians to sign by force of arms. As a result, many Indian tribes lost their land and thus their homes and many their lives.
The immigrants began to colonize the country. They cleared forests, built farm houses and hunted bison. They often shot many more bison than they needed to live. But the bison herds were the livelihood of the Indians.
Displacement of the indigenous people
This is how the displacement and extermination of the North American natives by the settlers began. By 1850 they had almost completely disappeared from the eastern part of North America. Because twenty years earlier a law was passed that forced the Indians to live on reservations.
This resettlement law enabled the settlers to evict the Indians from their homeland. They offered them a "swap": their tribal area for new land (reservations). The new land was mostly barren and offered little livelihood. When the Indians resisted this relocation, many were killed and some tribes completely exterminated.
Initially, the reservations were like prisons, the North American natives were only allowed to leave them with the permission of the settlers. Today, many Indians organize the reservations themselves. Some Indians also tried to live outside the reservations and earn money in the cities.
But it is often difficult for them to find work there. Today the largest Indian reservation in the American Southwest is New Mexico - it is about the size of Bavaria. Much of the Indian culture is preserved and still alive in the settlements of the Pueblo Indians and the reservations of the Navajos and Apaches.
- How do you write under your question
- Helicopter parenting evolves over time
- Can polar and non-polar molecules ever mix?
- What are some examples of animal classes
- How do you help someone
- Why is concentrated sulfuric acid syrupy
- What functions has iOS copied from Android
- What is the current state of Amethi
- How much does SolidWorks cost in India
- Who is your favorite guide and why
- Is it worth buying an iPhone 5
- Are there LGBTQ gun rights groups
- Do we need IELTS for students VISA
- How does the scent travel in space
- Why do people like ball game
- How do you say Tschuess in German
- What is a join in SQL
- Which selfie stick works best with Snapchat
- Should there be uniforms in law school
- How do Clover and Venmo compare
- Why is NFL not popular in the EU
- What can a whole blood count detect
- How do i do camtasia unlock software keys
- What is the area code for NYC
- Has surpassed Grandpa Gohan Master Roshi
- Why are electric field lines continuous
- How Google crawls news websites
- What are some tips for cooking shrimp
- How Christian was Jesus
- Can you decipher the word OKOB?
- Could I be an empathic sociopath
- Which institute offers the best acting courses
- How to make a quadcopter with Arduino
- What are some DIY nurse graduation gifts