What is the application of the logarithm
Reading time: 6 min
We can discover logarithms in everyday life: For example, the pH value (measure of the acidic or basic character of an aqueous solution, see calculations below) and the decibel scale (measure of volume). Or just use it when it comes to your financial planning, as shown with compound interest.
Basically, logarithms are used where the values are enormous.
Application example: pH value and logarithm
The pH value (abbreviation for Latin potentia hydrogenii = Ability of hydrogen) one considers concentrations between (acidic) and (alkaline) as a measure of the character of an aqueous solution. The scale to shows logarithmic values according to the formula:
or in general with:
These are extremely small values that can be better distinguished from one another using the logarithm.
We can rearrange the given formula as follows:
For example, vinegar has a pH of 2.5, which means:
As we can see, instead of just writing, we can write, which is much easier to read and memorize.
As we can see from the following table, the distinction is made easier by the ph values.
The minimum pH value is, that is, the indication of the concentration.
The maximum ph value is so.
Example for ph values
It is also interesting to know that our perception does not work linearly, but rather logarithmically. As with the decibel (unit for volume): We make a sound Not perceived twice as loud when its volume is doubled. No, you have to increase it many times over! Incidentally, the same applies to light. Doubled light (i.e. two light sources) does not produce light that is twice as bright for our perception.
Application example: Compare large numbers
If, for example, we are to determine whether is greater or less than, then our calculator has reached its limits because the numbers are far too large and do not fit in the memory. The logarithm provides a remedy here, with which we can carry out the comparison as follows:
This is how helpful the logarithm can be.
- What is the tensor calculus used for?
- Why are candles burned in glass
- How effective is lemon for dark circles?
- Has the stack overflow failed
- Scorpios can be deadly to your pets
- Do you think hardship is character building
- In general, laptop hinges are strong
- How can my friend escape CPS
- Is jesus a lord
- Which kite is best for flying?
- What does personal disability insurance do
- Which hotel do you recommend
- Is RO waterproof for fish
- Does it hurt to print girls' breasts
- Zomato provides benefits to reviewers
- Why is the Joker movie stupid
- What's your favorite song for jive
- What cleans aquariums
- HTC Desire 816 4g is activated
- What did you have on yesterday?
- What is the formula for orthocenter
- How can ethical awareness be improved
- What is a Bytedance folder in Android
- How Can You Learn Cognos Online Training