How is heaven represented in Greek mythology
Many gods - belief in ancient times
How did the world come about?
There are many myths about the origin of the world - and also about the gods in particular. The best-known myth about the creation of the world is the so-called "Theogony" from Hesiod, a Greek poet:
In the beginning there was chaos. From this chaos came Gaia (mother earth), Tartaros (the underworld), Eros (god of love), Nyx (the night) and Erebos (the dark). Gaia had several children without a husband, including Uranos (the sky) and Pontos (the sea). Nyx, in turn, gave birth to Erebos two children: day and light. Gaia and her son Uranus had many children, the Titans.
Uranus was overthrown by his son Kronos in a bloody battle. The Titan Kronos then ruled the world. But he, too, was later ousted by his son - the god Zeus.
Zeus, his siblings and his descendants are called gods. When Zeus came to power, the era of the Olympian gods began. Zeus commissioned Prometheus to make people out of clay.
What were the Greek gods like?
The gods have a human shape and human characteristics, feelings and thoughts. So you can feel sadness, anger, hate, envy, joy, love, and so on. The difference to humans is that the gods are immortal and pronounce very harsh punishments, often including death sentences. They do not tolerate presumptuousness and lasting success. So you are anything but squeamish.
The Greeks used to attribute natural phenomena (such as wind, storm, fire), the inexplicable and the unknown to the gods. In the following we list some important gods. However, the meaning of the gods varied in different regions and could also change over time. Myths, heroic sagas and family traditions entwine around the gods.
Important Greek gods
- Zeus - is the most powerful god influenced lightning, thunder and thunderstorms
- Athena - goddess of science
- Poseidon - god of the seas
- Eros - God of love
- Aphrodite - goddess of love and beauty
- Hebe - goddess of youth
- Apollon - god of light, healing and the arts
- Hades - god of the underworld
- Kronos - leader of the titans and god of time
- Hermes - messenger of the gods
How did people worship their gods?
People believed that gods control elements (like water, air and fire) and were also responsible for love, war and all those other things. To placate the gods, the Greeks made offerings to their gods. In addition, they worshiped the gods in front of temples, which were considered to be the residences of the gods.
There were priests, but they were only responsible for the correct implementation of the cults. They were civil servants and did not have the same function as the priests in Christianity. There was no holy book like the Bible. In ancient Greece there were pilgrimage sites such as B. the temple of Zeus in Olympia.
The Greek gods today
Even today we encounter Greek gods in everyday life. Hermes, for example, was the Greek messenger of the gods. Today the logistics company Hermes delivers our parcels - as a messenger like the messenger of the gods Hermes.
Another example is Demeter, the goddess of agriculture and the crops. It symbolizes the fertility of the earth. Today there is a well-known trademark "Demeter", which stands for biodynamic agriculture.
Were we able to spark your interest in Greek mythology? We look forward to your comment.
- How are the prisons in Bermuda?
- How to buy Grammy Tickets 2017
- Which is the best stock trading platform
- What is the Orthodox Jewish view of usury
- How useful is fuel for our environment
- Why are washing machine cycles so long
- When does the virtual AADHAR ID start
- What is the integration of 1 lnx
- Why is YouTubes' comments section so racist
- How does a good lifestyle motivate you?
- Where does our aesthetic sense come from?
- How do journalists get people's phone numbers?
- Why does everyone update their private policy
- Which myth makes you laugh every day
- What are entrepreneurial children
- What's your Least Favorite YouTube Channel
- Have laptop batteries ever caught fire?
- How many FBI agents die each year
- What makes a solar eclipse
- Which NCL mine produces the most coal?
- Does vital sleep really stop snoring?
- Is it worth moving to Silicon Valley?
- What is the best rental car software
- What are non-valent metals