What does normality mean in chemistry
The normality (Unit symbol: N) is an outdated measure of concentration in chemistry, which is mainly used in redox and acid / base reactions. It is not part of the DIN standards. It was determined by the equivalent concentration (unit symbol: ceq) replaced.
Normality is the number of gram equivalents or val dissolved in one liter of a solution. A gram equivalent is the mass of substance that one mole of e.g. protons (H.+Ions) or can give up or take in electrons.
In contrast to molarity, the degree of dissociation and the valency, i.e. how many protons per molecule can be taken up or released, also play a role in the normality of an acid or base.
Like all volume-related content specifications, normality is also temperature-dependent.
Normality is defined by the equation:
Here is N normality, c the molar concentration and z the value.
For example, to make a 1 N solution, 36.5 g HCl, 49 g H2SO4, 40 g NaOH or 85.5 g Ba (OH)2 so much solvent - usually water or alcohol - is added that exactly one liter of solution is produced.
Sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) consists of two sodium ions (Na+) and a carbonate ion. Thus, a 1 molar (M) sodium carbonate solution corresponds to a 2 normal (N) sodium carbonate solution based on the sodium ions (z = 2).
- Hans R. Christen, Gerd Meyer: Basics of general and inorganic chemistry. Salle + Sauerländer, 1997, ISBN 3793554937
- Frank H. Stepheson: Math in the laboratory. Elsevier Verlag, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-8274-1596-9
Category: Chemical quantity
- What are some alternatives to Akismet
- Which is the best Indian parenting book
- How good is your memory
- Is patience associated with trust
- When will the robot industry become popular?
- Why didn't Microsoft acquire Yahoo?
- How did NASA discover 7 habitable planets
- What date was Christopher Columbus born?
- Monotheism creates fanatical behavior
- How do we track an order
- Gold is poisonous to people
- What can education not teach?
- What technology is awok com based on
- What does Curacao Gone Red
- How do I escape a diagnosis of schizophrenia
- How are statistics used in forex trading
- Is Taekwondo effective in MMA and UFC
- What are some unusual uses of IoT
- What is the website cameo
- Hot water can make headaches worse
- Where does the name Chennai come from
- What is an ITIN
- Who was Imam Ali
- What websites offer ethical hacking courses
- Some people see God as life
- Why do American railways suck
- Can a government employee trade stocks
- What is a house value
- Why Africa is so corrupt
- When is Shivratri
- How do neobanks solve core banking problems
- Valentine's Day is a Catholic holiday
- How to study MCA abroad
- What makes people fail to lose weight