What are some examples of polar solvents
The structural formula of perchlorethylene
They are suitable for dissolving other non-polar substances such as grease (e.g. during dry cleaning). Because only non-polar solvents dissolve non-polar substances, just as only polar solvents dissolve polar substances. This is exactly where soap comes in.
Soap - mediator between the worlds
When washing, the soap plays the role of a mediator between the world of dirt (non-polar) and that of water (polar). It can be used to dissolve greasy dirt in the water.
The soap is able to do this because it is a kind of hybrid molecule. It consists of a polar and a non-polar part. Polar is the small ionic (charged) group at one end of the molecule, this is called the "head". The long hydrocarbon chain of the rest of the molecule, also known as the "tail", is non-polar.
A soap anion with a polar "head", the ionic group,
and the non-polar "tail", the hydrocarbon chain.
If you put soap shavings in water, they do not dissolve down to individual molecules.
A micelle: aggregation of soap anions
Rather, they form a dispersion. The soap molecules accumulate in the water to form so-called micelles. These micelles are small spheres in which the non-polar tails of the molecules cluster together and the polar heads turn outwards. As a result, only the heads of the molecules have contact with the polar water. We also speak of hydrophilic heads, Greek for loving water, and hydrophobic, i.e. H. Water repellent tails.
- How is congenital adrenal hyperplasia diagnosed
- Is rural Minnesota conservative
- What are satellite speakers
- Is pu erh tea safe
- What is 14 14 6 6
- Where is the best school for music
- What books should every child read?
- Does global warming cause animal evolution?
- Can we really rise above our prejudices?
- What did the soldiers read in World War II
- What is the scope of fashion communication
- Sunil Dutt was older than Nargis Dutt
- Is Yama Buddha dead
- What does East Asia eat with rice
- What did Camila Cabello say
- Which podcasts talk about supernatural phenomena
- What are the most influential parenting blogs
- Which dictionary is used in Google Translate
- Which RAM is the best
- What is a self-excited DC generator
- Can we come by train without tickets?
- Why is Minato your favorite character
- Why hire someone for digital marketing
- What is portrait drawing