How can you overlay photos in Photoshop?
Overlay with textures
Much in our world is worth capturing with a camera. But if a simple photo isn't enough for you, Photoshop opens up an even wider world of possibilities.
In terms of educational language, the term “texture” in German originally describes the internal structure or a context - according to the venerable Brockhaus - after the Latin “textura” (tissue). Nowadays, however, this reading has hardly anything to do with the reality of life of a photo editor or even a photographer.
Today the term “texture” mainly stands for the structured nature of a surface. “Texturing” is a fixed term, especially in 3D programs - it gives the surfaces of 3D objects not only color, but also details and depth.
By overlaying textures with appropriate blending modes, you can make images appear older or, as shown here, create creative portrait effects. Adjust the textures with "Edit> Transform> Deform" respectively »Filter> Liquify« to the respective surface and selectively hide the textures with a mask.
For my montage “The paint is off!” I used the photo of a pane of glass sprayed with paint (a) in Modus "Multiply" as well as my grimacing self-portrait (b) as a background layer. I matched the overlying layer "Transform> Deform" roughly the shape of the face (c).
The texture multiplied in had three undesirable effects: the highlights were darkened too much, the saturation was too high, and both the eyes and the background were superimposed. You solve problem one with an adjustment level »Tonal Correction« (d) where you crop the lights, problem two with an adjustment layer "Hue / Saturation" (e), problem three with a layer mask (f). You have probably already noticed: In addition, the background has been replaced with a dramatic sky.
Overlay with textures: In DOCMA 81 (March / April 2018 edition) you can find out more about how you can use structures that have been photographed or created with filters to creatively stylize your photos.
You can get the DOCMA booklet in well-stocked newsagents, at train stations and airports as well as in our DOCMA shop. There (and only there) you can choose between the ePaper edition and the printed booklet. Now both are available together in a combined subscription.
Here you can easily find out where the magazine is available in your area.
- How to calm an aggressive macaw
- What is a Good SEO Blogger Topic
- Why is YouTubes' comments section so racist
- What defines our age
- How can I qualify for interviews
- What is a dynamic keyword
- Should I play Dream11
- What is the purpose of the skull deformation
- Who was Frank the Irish Sheeran
- What are viable cells
- Black Panther is smarter than Reed Richards
- Can you suggest a guide 1
- Is Giant Dad actually Shrek
- What is a partial enjoyment
- What was Plato
- What's your rating of Tokopedia
- State lottery winners are guaranteed anonymity
- Why is C OOPs called
- How to pronounce IRC
- What is the greatest fear in the world
- How do I spend Bitcoin
- How is the name Miike Snows pronounced
- Plywood is considered solid wood
- Why does Crowdstar rock
- Will Coutinho come to Barcelona in January
- The grinding of teeth can cause ear pain
- Who wrote Jingle Bells
- What is an XML Registration
- How can startups avoid shark investors
- Could humanity still exist without clouds?
- Have you ever used web TV
- How do I get an explosives license
- Is the 2011 film from The Thing really scary
- Was a florist necessary for weddings